VOGONS

Disable Nvidia second monitor

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-17, 17:51:
Yeah because it wont output to dual monitors. I mean Ive never tried a to mirror one to another, maybe it will work like that. B […]
Show full quote

Yeah because it wont output to dual monitors. I mean Ive never tried a to mirror one to another, maybe it will work like that. But as its an emulator Im not sure why you would want to as all its really doing is using memory, because it will still need to buffer the frames its just that you have no way to view them, which seems pointless to me.

Im not sure why you would emulate a second monitor at all. But that is what is causing your problems. Remove the emulator and the video card will not register a device on the connector and turn it off and the game will run properly.
The way to disable the second output, in Windows anyway, is to just not put anything on it.

I mean there is a way, a very elaborate way you could do it but it would take quite some work rewriting the drivers to do it. And at the end of it all the question is why?
But in the rewiting of the drivers the second output will stop working and the emulator adapter will stop working defacto because there is no longer an output outputting to it... So why?

What does this monitor emulator give you that you cant get another way?
Ive never heard of a piece of software that requires such a device, especially not a game.

I have problems with Midtown Madness 1 that tries to detect the video card every time I play it.

Reply 21 of 24, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexclaudiu2003 wrote on 2023-10-18, 18:04:
Yeah because it wont output to dual monitors. I mean Ive never tried a to mirror one to another, maybe it will work like that. B […]
Show full quote

Yeah because it wont output to dual monitors. I mean Ive never tried a to mirror one to another, maybe it will work like that. But as its an emulator Im not sure why you would want to as all its really doing is using memory, because it will still need to buffer the frames its just that you have no way to view them, which seems pointless to me.

Im not sure why you would emulate a second monitor at all. But that is what is causing your problems. Remove the emulator and the video card will not register a device on the connector and turn it off and the game will run properly.
The way to disable the second output, in Windows anyway, is to just not put anything on it.

I mean there is a way, a very elaborate way you could do it but it would take quite some work rewriting the drivers to do it. And at the end of it all the question is why?
But in the rewiting of the drivers the second output will stop working and the emulator adapter will stop working defacto because there is no longer an output outputting to it... So why?

Ive never heard of a piece of software that requires such a device, especially not a game.

I have problems with Midtown Madness 1 that tries to detect the video card every time I play it.

6.4. Midtown Madness supports the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 and
Windows 2000
You can use the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 with Midtown Madness. The
Multimon feature allows you to use multiple monitors (and video cards) attached to a single computer.
Midtown Madness always defaults to the last video card detected. Therefore, if the game does not appear
on the monitor you expect it to, trying changing your Renderer setting (Options menu--Graphics Options)
to change which video card and which monitor is displaying Midtown Madness.
If you see Midtown Madness attempting to redetect video hardware every time you start the game on a
MultiMon configuration, one or more of your display devices may not support DirectDraw in MultiMon.
Updating to newer drivers may help, or you can simply remove the offending video board, which is most
likely the one that's missing from the Renderer list on the Graphics Options screen (Options menu).

https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploa … wnload.com_.pdf

Reply 22 of 24, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-18, 19:28:
6.4. Midtown Madness supports the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 You can use the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 […]
Show full quote
alexclaudiu2003 wrote on 2023-10-18, 18:04:
Show full quote

6.4. Midtown Madness supports the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 and
Windows 2000
You can use the MultiMon feature in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 with Midtown Madness. The
Multimon feature allows you to use multiple monitors (and video cards) attached to a single computer.
Midtown Madness always defaults to the last video card detected. Therefore, if the game does not appear
on the monitor you expect it to, trying changing your Renderer setting (Options menu--Graphics Options)
to change which video card and which monitor is displaying Midtown Madness.
If you see Midtown Madness attempting to redetect video hardware every time you start the game on a
MultiMon configuration, one or more of your display devices may not support DirectDraw in MultiMon.
Updating to newer drivers may help, or you can simply remove the offending video board, which is most
likely the one that's missing from the Renderer list on the Graphics Options screen (Options menu).

https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploa … wnload.com_.pdf

We tested video cards and all drivers and versions of DirectX for Geforce 4 Ti, Geforce 4 Mx, Quadro4 and Geforce Fx.

Reply 23 of 24, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah having done only a little looking I saw that game has many problems to do with video cards.
Maybe look at the Microsoft FAQ on the game and look for a known compatible card and see what happens with those.

But adding a fake monitor doesnt seem like it will help you at all.

Reply 24 of 24, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something similar happens to me with my GeForce2 MX 400, for some reason two monitors are detected even though only one is connected.

In my case, it seems this happens only with some versions of the nVidia drivers for Windows 9x, for example 43.25.

By installing the latest nVidia drivers, that is, 81.98, this does NOT happen.