VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know what the drive mode selector jumper does?

273rear.gif
Filename
273rear.gif
File size
46.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right well I half figured it out , the single bit overrides the drive to be the only recognized drive on that header.
No idea what the factory bit means though.

Reply 3 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Master/Slave/Cable select are jumpers in "Jumper Block", I think. This single jumper is designed for configuration where there is only one IDE/ATA device on the cable (that is, this CD ROM drive). Some HDDs had it too.

Reply 6 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do not use those for standard PC setups.
Factory is for a final test/calibration of the drive and that Single drive is for a specific use, Apple possibly or upgrade flashing the rom in a multi CD setup to make sure that just one gets flashed) iirc
(been a long time since I even thought about those so am probably remembering wrong from decades ago..)
If you look at many early PC cd burners you will see a space for those same jumpers but they are not there because they were not for "end users" ;p
just rambling...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-09-21, 07:42:

That's a quite inventive set of jumpers. Which brand/model drive is this?

It's a NEC CDR 273

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/optical-cd-drive … OM-CDR-273.html

s-l1600 (52).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (52).jpg
File size
147.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 8 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-09-22, 03:27:
I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do […]
Show full quote

I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do not use those for standard PC setups.
Factory is for a final test/calibration of the drive and that Single drive is for a specific use, Apple possibly or upgrade flashing the rom in a multi CD setup to make sure that just one gets flashed) iirc
(been a long time since I even thought about those so am probably remembering wrong from decades ago..)
If you look at many early PC cd burners you will see a space for those same jumpers but they are not there because they were not for "end users" ;p
just rambling...

That's really odd , you'd think they wouldn't leave that kind of stuff exposed for consumers or at least hide it somewhere inside the drive on the pcb.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can see this on some old HDD´s too, it´s really for configuration, where only this device alone is connected on the cable:

Attachments

• wd.jpg
    Filename
    wd.jpg
    File size
    188.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2022-09-24, 16:41:

You can see this on some old HDD´s too, it´s really for configuration, where only this device alone is connected on the cable:

Yeah the single thing makes sense , its more the factory setting that's a bit odd.