VOGONS

First post, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I recently acquired IBM PC 5150 and I found this Orchid TurboEGA card in it.

It looks like it's a card with multiple functions like being able to switch between original 8088 and 80286 CPU with a toggle switch.

It works fine on 5150 but I want to use it on my IBM XT 5160 computer as it's got more ISA slots.

But sadly it does not work on my 5160. Probably because of jumper settings? I've been trying to find a manual of it but it is hard to find.

So I took a bunch of pictures showing its jumpers. If you guys can help me figure out what these do, it will be awesome.

Thank you.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow that is one crazy Vid card with a 8088 cpu and a 286+287 math-co. where does that ribbon cable go in the 5150
Some type of XT multi - CPU upgrade card with video. https://manualzz.com/doc/26296796/orchid-graphics-cards
Maybe Dave got his working: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
My guess on the jumpers 5M and 8M is the clock speeds for the 286 and math-co ??
The back 4 switches should be somewhat standard for Mono/CGA/EGA choices along with EGA-M/C jumper. Those are just guesses based on a few CGA/EGA cards.
The jumpers IEN, PG2 and 3/2 and INT2 -NMI must have to do with the CPU's with the W# jumpers at back. Just a lot of guesses but will dig around the archives to see if there is some reference somewhere.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2022-09-25, 03:36:
wow that is one crazy Vid card with a 8088 cpu and a 286+287 math-co. where does that ribbon cable go in the 5150 Some type of X […]
Show full quote

wow that is one crazy Vid card with a 8088 cpu and a 286+287 math-co. where does that ribbon cable go in the 5150
Some type of XT multi - CPU upgrade card with video. https://manualzz.com/doc/26296796/orchid-graphics-cards
Maybe Dave got his working: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
My guess on the jumpers 5M and 8M is the clock speeds for the 286 and math-co ??
The back 4 switches should be somewhat standard for Mono/CGA/EGA choices along with EGA-M/C jumper. Those are just guesses based on a few CGA/EGA cards.
The jumpers IEN, PG2 and 3/2 and INT2 -NMI must have to do with the CPU's with the W# jumpers at back. Just a lot of guesses but will dig around the archives to see if there is some reference somewhere.

Honestly looks more like a SBC type of setup, perhaps an upgrade card that upgrades the entire system without having to buy a new pc.

Reply 3 of 13, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-25, 03:36:

The ribbon cable goes to the 8088 socket on 5150 motherboard. And the 8088 CPU is supposed to inserted on the Orchid TurboEGA card. You can see it is right below TurboEGA card's ribbon cable connector.

Hopefully you can find some info about these jumpers. I don't want to touch them before I am really sure what I am doing because I don't want to damage any of the components.

Reply 4 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah figured that cable thing out after reading the one pdf. Have not found anything else but..sometimes pictures can tell you something without a manual.
You should not hurt the card if you change one or two jumpers. The only diff in jumpers from yours and DavejustDave (where he says works on 5160) is in the ones near TE-50.
I would change that one jumper and see what happens. His is Closed, Closed, Open, Closed, Closed. Yours is Closed, Closed, Open, Open, Closed. Going from top to bottom down the jumpers.
I see no other differences in jumpers and if his worked on 5160 then that one change may allow it and it cannot hurt.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing too fancy. It's not an SBC. It's probably just an Orchid Tiny Turbo combined with an EGA card.
You probably need to set the display settings on your 5160 to "disabled" or "none". It's usually two switches on an 8-bank DIP switch.
Remove the original 8088, and plug the ribbon cable into the socket (making sure pin 1 is in the correct corner).
The 8/5MHz jumper on the card is probably to select the speed of the original motherboard, so you'd want to leave it on 5.

There are likely software utilities that go with the card as well. Did you check on VCfed for the pdf and software? I'd be surprised if nobody has it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I checked VCFED and only links to old articles about it. The one review with best info is this:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LRBokcwL … o%20EGA&f=false

According to that article: Those jumpers near TE-50 must be the ones to set amount of motherboard ram except the top one CE would be the Cache Enable jumper. The 5M/8M jumper sets the MathCo speed.
The RCA's are not Composite outputs according to that review.
added: based on many other C&T EGA/CGA/M cards with 4 switches: currently set to EGA 80x25 mode with the EGA-M/C jumper in EGA position.

Reply 7 of 13, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-25, 05:28:
Yeah figured that cable thing out after reading the one pdf. Have not found anything else but..sometimes pictures can tell you s […]
Show full quote

Yeah figured that cable thing out after reading the one pdf. Have not found anything else but..sometimes pictures can tell you something without a manual.
You should not hurt the card if you change one or two jumpers. The only diff in jumpers from yours and DavejustDave (where he says works on 5160) is in the ones near TE-50.
I would change that one jumper and see what happens. His is Closed, Closed, Open, Closed, Closed. Yours is Closed, Closed, Open, Open, Closed. Going from top to bottom down the jumpers.
I see no other differences in jumpers and if his worked on 5160 then that one change may allow it and it cannot hurt.

So I've been trying all different jumper setting for hours now.

If I remove W1 jumper which turns off cache, computer boots! Both stock mode and turbo mode work! But then turbo mode is as slow as stock mode. Only a slight performance boost in games and benchmarks.

The card in 5150 with turbo mode gives me around 9Mhz in LM60 benchmark and it is way faster than stock 8088. I want to see that in 5160 too.

According to Orchid's TinyTurbo286 manual, W2~W5 jumpers are used to set motherboard's memory size. So I've tried all possible jumper setting for W2~W5 jumpers but none of them work with cache enabled.

Well, I guess the card just does not like 5160's 256-640KB Motherboard. I have no other explanation. Until I find the manual, I will just have to use this with 5150. =/

Reply 8 of 13, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-09-25, 06:52:
Nothing too fancy. It's not an SBC. It's probably just an Orchid Tiny Turbo combined with an EGA card. You probably need to set […]
Show full quote

Nothing too fancy. It's not an SBC. It's probably just an Orchid Tiny Turbo combined with an EGA card.
You probably need to set the display settings on your 5160 to "disabled" or "none". It's usually two switches on an 8-bank DIP switch.
Remove the original 8088, and plug the ribbon cable into the socket (making sure pin 1 is in the correct corner).
The 8/5MHz jumper on the card is probably to select the speed of the original motherboard, so you'd want to leave it on 5.

There are likely software utilities that go with the card as well. Did you check on VCfed for the pdf and software? I'd be surprised if nobody has it.

The DIP switch on 5160 is set to use EGA card. 5 and 6 are ON. Just like 5150.

Somebody posted about this card on VCfed years ago but it looks like no one has manual and software for this particular card. They have Orchid TinyTurbo 286 documents though.

Reply 9 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you tried everything possible without a manual. Curious if you tried the NMI jumper (which should allow the adapter to run them instead of the mainboard. Also not sure but maybe the 2/3 jumper could be of benefit.
Read that if you change from non-turbo to turbo it will reboot the computer when switched, does that happen on the 5160 ? just guessing things....

Reply 10 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I was looking for information on this card, I found this brochure:
https://thecomputerarchive.com/archivemain/Di … ics%20cards.PDF

Apparently there also exists a product called the "TurboPGA", which is not a CPU accelerator, but a rather cool PGA card that you can daisy chain to a CGA or EGA card...very nifty.

Did you try using archive.org to see if there is anything of interest on orchid's old website?

Reply 11 of 13, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-26, 03:46:

Sounds like you tried everything possible without a manual. Curious if you tried the NMI jumper (which should allow the adapter to run them instead of the mainboard. Also not sure but maybe the 2/3 jumper could be of benefit.
Read that if you change from non-turbo to turbo it will reboot the computer when switched, does that happen on the 5160 ? just guessing things....

I tried to set both INT2 and NMI but both do not show any difference.

For TEN, PG2, 3/2 jumpers, I also tried all possible combination and no use.

When the card works normally, when I flip the switch, computer reboots in 2 seconds. It is not a Turbo button, it requires to reboot the system in order to use different clock speeds.

On 5150, I can turn on the computer with switch up(Turbo mode) or switch down(Slow mode) without any problem.

On the other hand, 5160 refuses to turn on with switch up(Turbo mode) when cache is enabled. With switch down(Slow mode), it boots and I see DOS screen. There, I flip the switch to UP position, computer freezes. It just stops. No rebooting.

Btw, I found out that the Orchid Technology founder Le Nhon Bui is on Facebook. I sent him a massage but no answers yet. Hope he can answer me and help on this issue. xD

Reply 12 of 13, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-09-26, 03:54:
While I was looking for information on this card, I found this brochure: https://thecomputerarchive.com/archivemain/Di … ics%20c […]
Show full quote

While I was looking for information on this card, I found this brochure:
https://thecomputerarchive.com/archivemain/Di … ics%20cards.PDF

Apparently there also exists a product called the "TurboPGA", which is not a CPU accelerator, but a rather cool PGA card that you can daisy chain to a CGA or EGA card...very nifty.

Did you try using archive.org to see if there is anything of interest on orchid's old website?

archive.org doesn't really have anything regarding this card.

It looks like the company, Orchid Technology, went out of business in 1994 which means no website for them. Or at least I cannot find their website on achive.org.

Reply 13 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn, that's too bad. I read on a usenet post that the website existed in archive.org in 1996, but that the contents are pretty limited.
I didn't realise Orchid went tits up so early in the game.