VOGONS

First post, by dennisE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons!

The keyboard has some scratches, I would like to remove them. How can I do it?

Another question, when whitening the keyboard, some bubbles have come out, as if there were a transparent layer. How can i get it out?

Attached photos,

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• IMG_20220927_210533.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220927_210533.jpg
    File size
    796.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Some bubbles after whitening the keyboard
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20220927_210355.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220927_210355.jpg
    File size
    501.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Some scratches on keyboard
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dennisE wrote on 2022-09-27, 20:19:

Hi Vogons!
The keyboard has some scratches, I would like to remove them. How can I do it?
Thanks very much!

Those are not "scratches" but something hot enough to melt the plastic but not brown it did those. There is no way to remove them AFAIK
Also: those appear to be on the bottom so no one sees them when using it.... just my opinion.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The scratches aren't so.
The keyboard cables have some chemicals that would sip out and work on the surface.

The bubbles, in my case, are some kind of protective layer that just reacted to the chemicals you used.

It's old stuff, it happens. I cleaned a 3-4 and some issues like that showed up.
I put all in storage and waiting for deep winter to set in, in order to discourage me from going outdoors 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 5 of 5, by dennisE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried sanding with 0000 wool but it is worse. The grain goes away, what a horror! 😱 The bad thing is that the part that I have sanded looks polished.

I have tried with turpentine, and acetone, but without result. I think the only way is to sand the plastic.,it will be smooth and rare but you won't see the peeling layer.

The second option would be to paint the keyboard.

Vogons, what do you think about?