VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is Shelbys newest video on this topic. He even mentions that somebody contacted him to connect a different drive ... Maybe from here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1t2_EJG9w

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 21 of 25, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-09-30, 14:14:

I no longer have that anymore. My mother used it a standalone CD player for some time, but I believe it has been given away. Interface card and cable are long gone.

For the speed, I can't say whether it was normal or not. My unit might have had something wrong with it.

I wouldn't be surprised that the speed is correct.
Though I also assume that the interface card you got was a different one.
I should have a closer look at the pcb/schematic from techtangents to see which chips actually handle the data transfer.
for now I'm assuming that it's the uart and that is limited to 64Kbd/s

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he mentioned later models using incompatible controllers. One of the showed ones even has an sram chip meaning it does buffering and maybe even some processing, definitely potential for speeds higher than 64kbit.

Would be really interesting to see a capture of rs422 serial stream.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 23 of 25, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First of all I'd like to renew my thanks for everyone's replies and continued interest. I'm way out of my depth on this one and every help I can get is more than welcome.

Yes I contacted Shelby and he replied very quickly and thoughtfully. So as for the cable it really is a DB-15 one like you guys confirmed here earlier, that's settled, and as it doesn't need AC power sent through the DB-15 port it matches his reproduction (and obviously the original) CM-153 controller card, so that's a start. As for the rest no guarantees, but apparently if my drive is a single speed one I might have a better chance of the card working with it. Drivers wise the ones he used were these "CM50DRV.ZIP" that you also pointed me to, which are universal, so there's a good chance they will work, and as you also noticed the Philips CDD 461 is mentioned in its readme file, so maybe close enough to my CDD 462?

In his latest video he did say that "with some modifications" the card might end up working with later drives, I'm not sure what that entails, but I'm very optimistic based on the fantastic job he did so far

Reply 24 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2022-10-01, 08:10:
I wouldn't be surprised that the speed is correct. Though I also assume that the interface card you got was a different one. I […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2022-09-30, 14:14:

I no longer have that anymore. My mother used it a standalone CD player for some time, but I believe it has been given away. Interface card and cable are long gone.

For the speed, I can't say whether it was normal or not. My unit might have had something wrong with it.

I wouldn't be surprised that the speed is correct.
Though I also assume that the interface card you got was a different one.
I should have a closer look at the pcb/schematic from techtangents to see which chips actually handle the data transfer.
for now I'm assuming that it's the uart and that is limited to 64Kbd/s

My interface card was definitely a CM153 of some revision. AFAICR, the manual for the CM153 mentioned RS422 .

Reply 25 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally had a look at https://github.com/AkBKukU/CM153-Repro/raw/ma … rd/ISA-Card.pdf
Only command/response channel is going over RS422 limited to 64kbit.
Separate dedicated DATA channel build with 74HC595 TTL deserializer (very popular with LED displays/matrix/wall crowd nowadays) is clocked directly by the Drive unit and dumps data using ISA DMA. Its perfectly capable of transferring raw EFM decoded data stream (2352/2048 bytes) at full speed of 1411.2/1228.8 kbit/s.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction