VOGONS

First post, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I've been reading a lot in this forum, but this is my first post here.

I have a Soyo SY-5EMA PRO with a K6-2 running at 500Mhz (2.2V).
I just got an AMD K6-2+/533ACZM that works at 2V. However, my motherboard doesn't seem to have the 2V option.
Does anyone know the proper configuration in regards to voltage on this board to support this CPU?

The BIOS I have flashed is the latest one, I was able to retrieve it using the "wayback machine" from archive.org.
I cannot find the manual, so I'm basically reading what it says on the mobo as well as manuals from the SY-5EMA+ and similar versions. If anyone has the manual, please share it away 😉

In the voltage-sel.jpg pic you can see the options I have.
Unknown.jpg is basically a jumper (JP11) that I don't know what it does, I couldn't find any documentation about it. It located really close to the CPU.

Also, I'd like to ask about cached memory limits. Per https://www.amd-k6.com/cacheable-ram-on-socket-7-platforms/ the VIA MVP3 that this board comes with only caches 64MB of RAM in write back cache mode. I will test it and play with it but, what difference should I expect with the K6-2+ CPU (providing that it works) compared to the current K6-2? Will it be even different if I had a K6-III+?
I'm asking this because of the L2 cache the K6 plus versions have. Since I'll have L2 CPU cache, the mobo cache will be L3, so I'm not sure about the performance penalty if I decide to go with something like 128MB or 256MB of RAM.

Thank you!

Attachments

Be free!

Reply 1 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 5EMA+, and I'm not sure what the differences are between it and your motherboard. Your CPU will be fine at 2.2 volts, but it would be better to set it correctly if possible. This chart is one that I found for lower voltage settings with the 5EMA+.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My board has 1024k cache and the memory performance is good with 256 megabytes, but falls off when 512 is installed (that was measured with my Epox MVP3G-M but it's nearly identical with my 5EMA+). Valued BIOS modifier and all around good guy Chkcpu had an explanation: Re: SY-5EMA+ writing cache becomes disabled

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a SY-5EMAPRO. The setting for 2.0V is just not printed on the silkscreen. It's in the manual though. It's the last version of the SY-5EMA from what I remember.

JP11 is another jumper required to select 83mhz FSB, along with JP8-JP10. Make sure it is set to pins 2-3 for all other frequencies.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 9, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the responses.
I'm eager to get the K6-2+ and start playing around. Testing RAM, graphics and sound cards... is just part of the fun!

Just another quick question if I may. I'd like to run this K6-2+ at 550Mhz with FSB at 100Mhz. In order to do so, I assume SW1 (there is a pic attached) should be configured like:
1 - OFF
2 - OFF
3 - ON
(that will set multiplier at 5.5x)
4, 5, 6 - OFF
(that will set 100Mhz FSB)
Is that right?
Not sure if I'll have to increase the voltage to 2.1V or something, I'll give it a try for sure.

@the3dfxdude if you could please share the full manual, that will help me tremendously.

Thank you!

Attachments

Be free!

Reply 6 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 5EMA+ does not have the option of setting memory bank interleave in the CMOS settings, so yours likely also doesn't. Luckily, a guy named George Breese wrote a software patch that enables it - so long as your memory can handle it, it gives a nice boost to your memory bandwidth.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's great, thanks a lot!

Folks, about cached memory, I'll continuing testing but looking at the "Cacheable RAM on Socket 7 platforms" article... it just doesn't add up...
Please see attached results; you'll see pretty much the same values for 32MB, 128MB and even 448MB configurations. Only when I get to 512MB, the results drop (forgot that "screenshot" sorry, but the chart looks pretty similar to what repoman indicated).
My SY-5EMA PRO only has 512KB of cache.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Be free!