VOGONS

First post, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I accepted as a gift a neat baby AT board - PCCHIPS? M396-VER1.1

I am missing: C1, C2, C9, C10, C11, C32, C42 and the 28-pin BIOS chip

As for the bios I will try to use W27C257-90 with an image i found: http://chukaev.ru54.com/bios/3pcm003.zip

I found photos of similar boards online, but the exact values of the capacitors are unlikely to be seen on a photo.

Please if someone has exactly the same board tell me the values of the mentioned caps.

Attachments

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 1 of 3, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS image is for a 512K chip, the Winbond W27C257 has 256K, so it´cannot be used here.

As for the capacitors: For the ones with a polarity (+) marker (like C2) you can use 10µF - 22µF 16V or 25V.
Some of them - like C32 - were never populated. You need to check where there are remnants of wires in the solderings and only replace these ones.

The ones without polarity (like C1) are ceramic capacitors. Maybe someone who has the same board can tell you the exact values (they are in the nF /pF range).

Reply 2 of 3, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As for the bios my mistake it is W27E512-70

As for the caps - yes i assume you are correct, but i am a perfectionist, i want to know for sure!

C32 was populated for sure i see the legs cutted and there is proof of a similar board:

Attachments

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 3 of 3, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you´re a perfectionist you don´t care what PC-Cheapo-Chips did and replace all electrolytics by 22µF 25V tantalum capacitors.
These caps are for filtering out high frequency interferences and soften transients. The higher the capacity and the lower the inductance and ESR the better. The latter is negatively correlated with nominal voltage.