Reply 20 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-10-01, 23:57:
Frunzl wrote on 2022-10-01, 23:23:

When I removed X4 from my modded chip, I unfortunately ripped off the pad

🙁
When I was modding motherboards for coppermines back in ~2000 I would drill socket plastic a little bigger and sleeve insulation stripped from thin wire over the pin I wanted disconnected.

I know, for a normal board, that would be much preferable... it is a shame, but nowadays, where a cheap Tualeron costs a few bucks and with these hyper-expensive Interposers, it would be much more painful to drill into such an extremely rare devie....

But it is a shame 🙁

Yes, and unfortunately, I do not have post card, sthg I wanted to get for an eternity. But I will check with the scope in the meantime

Reply 21 of 38, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please honor the no sales on Vogons rule. I just deleted a sales offer.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There it is, a Tualatin @ 933 MHz from 2002 on a 440FX Socket 8 platform from 1996.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1377.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 38, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I so want to build a socket 8 tualatin…

Got a pic of the hardware?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-11-14, 22:08:

I so want to build a socket 8 tualatin…

Oh yes, I understand completely, I have been trying to achieve this for more than a year.
I will be able to post pictures on Friday.

Reply 25 of 38, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frunzl wrote on 2022-11-14, 21:57:

There it is, a Tualatin @ 933 MHz from 2002 on a 440FX Socket 8 platform from 1996.

133 MHz FSB on a 440FX? How is that even possible?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 26 of 38, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-11-15, 05:04:

A Tualatin Celeron, nominally running at 14*100MHz=1400MHz would run at 14*66.66MHz=933MHz

Reply 27 of 38, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-11-15, 05:15:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-11-15, 05:04:

A Tualatin Celeron, nominally running at 14*100MHz=1400MHz would run at 14*66.66MHz=933MHz

Ah, of course. I just never think of Tualeron when Tualatin is mentioned 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 28 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Friday came and went, but the photos we are itching for are MIA.

Any chance you'd be able to test this out in a dual CPU socket 8 system? Which socket 8 systems do you have at your disposal? I thought having a dual PIIOD-333 on my dual socket 8 setup was pretty slick, but a Tualeron at 933 MHz blows that away.

I just looked in my bin for a PL-370/T, but I just have the Powerleap PL-NEO/T. I used to use these in a dual Asus board that didn't have Tualatin support. So the PL-370/T would be similar to the PL-NEO/T, except the former has voltage control and AGTL circuitry?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2022-11-15, 07:57:

Friday came and went, but the photos we are itching for are MIA.

Any chance you'd be able to test this out in a dual CPU socket 8 system? Which socket 8 systems do you have at your disposal? I thought having a dual PIIOD-333 on my dual socket 8 setup was pretty slick, but a Tualeron at 933 MHz blows that away.

I just looked in my bin for a PL-370/T, but I just have the Powerleap PL-NEO/T. I used to use these in a dual Asus board that didn't have Tualatin support. So the PL-370/T would be similar to the PL-NEO/T, except the former has voltage control and AGTL circuitry?

I only posted this yesterday, so Friday is still ahead 😀 Unfortunately, I am out of town until then.

I am currently running it on a pretty unimpressive QDI Legend P61440FX Commander.

And I do have a dual Socket 8 Intel board (will look for the model number when possible), on which I still need to test it. This board did work with two Mendocino Celerons @ 533 MHz. However, these are known to support SMP, which is not the case for the later Celerons, including the Tualerons. Actually, among the PIIIs, I believe only the full Tualatin-S models can do multi-CPU. And with these in such a system, the lower multiplier would result in quite low CPU clocks. Still certainly much faster than the PII-OD. For the Coppermines (Celeron or not), it seems that they cannot do SMP either, but I have read conflicting information and some forum post claimed it did work on some models (great reference, I know..). I doubt it, since Intel probably didnt want to cannibalize their first Xeons.

My own experience until now: I think, I already wrote earlier that I had modified the PL-Pro/II to run FC-PGA up to Coppermines. This did not work in dual socket configuration, neither Celeron, nor full Coppermine PIII. With only one CPU installed on the dual board, no problem. I must admit that I didnt pursue it much though. Also, I honestly prefer the older, more down to earth QDI motherboard vs the Intel one (AT vs ATX, no onboard SCSI and LAN etc..) and both are catastrophically bottlenecked by the EDO RAM anyway 😀

Unfortunately, I have neither two PL-370/T, nor two identical Tualatin-S models, but I will try it with my single Tualeron and a 1400S (unfortunately not at the same time) in the dual socket board and report asap 😀

Regarding CPU compatibility, the PL-Pro/II supposedly is not supported by Award Bioses (acc. to the PL website). This is not true, but I absolutely needed to run Biospatcher first, otherwise no post.

For the PL-NEO/T, I cannot say. Again, modifying the socket of the PL-Pro/II to accept FC-PGA (i.e. isolating/connecting the Reset pins) did work up to Coppermine, but the Korean modified "FC-PGA"-Tualatins did not run at all. So I dont know if further mods would be necessary to make the PL-NEO/T PPGA- or PL-Pro/II compatible as well.

More on Friday

Reply 30 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_1404_2.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1404_2.jpg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1405.jpg
    File size
    1.62 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1407.jpg
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1406.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1409.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And this was the previous "version" (before I got my hands on a PL-370/T), including the mod to make it FC-PGA compatible.
Please keep in mind that I tried to make it as reversible as possible, hence no soldering etc. The glue residues and markings were pretty much completely removable.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1393.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1390.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 32 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Tualeron and the Tualatin-S work on both boards.
Here are some Speedsys results for the 1400S, P2OD and the original Pentium Pro 200 1M (running at 233 MHz).

Attachments

• 1400S.jpg
    Filename
    1400S.jpg
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P2OD.jpg
    Filename
    P2OD.jpg
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • PPro233_1M.jpg
    Filename
    PPro233_1M.jpg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 33 of 38, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the speedsys results, would it be too much to ask for the detailed memory breakdown of each configuration it gives you when you press 'M' or whatever?

Reply 34 of 38, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-11-18, 17:03:

Thanks for the speedsys results, would it be too much to ask for the detailed memory breakdown of each configuration it gives you when you press 'M' or whatever?

Sure, happy to be able to contribute something interesting.

Attachments

• 1400S_mem.jpg
    Filename
    1400S_mem.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P2OD_mem.jpg
    Filename
    P2OD_mem.jpg
    File size
    1.53 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • PPro233_mem.jpg
    Filename
    PPro233_mem.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 36 of 38, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, looks like Tualatin reaches MMX performance without using MMX registers, maybe more aggressive prefetching?
tualatin in socket 8 is even crazier than 'Epox S2C Slot-1 to Slot-2 Adapter' https://www.anandtech.com/show/318

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 37 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is definitely the most aggressive and far reaching upgrade I've seen. Was there any other upgrade that takes your old motherboard further into the future? The only thing that can make it cooler would be working in SMP.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 38 of 38, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-20, 01:20:

well, looks like Tualatin reaches MMX performance without using MMX registers, maybe more aggressive prefetching?
tualatin in socket 8 is even crazier than 'Epox S2C Slot-1 to Slot-2 Adapter' https://www.anandtech.com/show/318

IIRC, prefetch was one of the improvements on Tualatin over Coppermine