VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i had this idea of collecting info of 486 pci chipsets for years, but never made much progress. so i think i should start a thread and ask everyone to give some help.
first there is the most popular sis496 and umc8881, they are both quite fast and mature, although i feel that the sis496 is slightly better. the umc8881 also suffered a bit from lack of info, no datasheet has ever been found so far.
and there is ali1489, i had expectations on it but havn't seen a satisfying board so far. maybe it came out too late so that the board manufacturers didn't put much effort on it. most, if not all m1489 boards that i've seen are prone to at least one of following weaknesses:
* only 2 simm slots
* leaky barrel battery or rtc, some barrel batteries are even in a place that's difficult to replace.
* slow performance from bugged design (pcchips m918 for example)
* cheap build quality
and some less common chipsets:
intel 420tx/zx and 420ex
via496
ali m1439
opti802 and 895
nec unidentified
ald488
and probably some others that i missed
i hope anyone who have them would provide info on how they performs(speed and reliability), and what characteristics and weaknesses they have.

Last edited by noshutdown on 2022-10-07, 10:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting the datasheets & programming/register info for all those chipsets would be great !

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OPTi 802 and 895 are not PCI chipsets. On those boards, a bridge chip is used.

I have suspicions, though no concrete proof that the NEC chip you identified is really a rebadged ALD 93C488 (this one also seems dodgy). Although I haven't gotten my hands on any, I am pretty sure in the past I have seen identical boards with either NEC or ALD. For quite a number of years there was also a fake NEC company operating in China, so that plays into my theory.
I don't know that you missed anything. If others exist, they were likely developed years later for use in industrial systems and such.

The ALi 1439 is interesting. I'd never heard of that one before.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 4, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-10-07, 09:27:
OPTi 802 and 895 are not PCI chipsets. On those boards, a bridge chip is used. […]
Show full quote

OPTi 802 and 895 are not PCI chipsets. On those boards, a bridge chip is used.

I have suspicions, though no concrete proof that the NEC chip you identified is really a rebadged ALD 93C488 (this one also seems dodgy). Although I haven't gotten my hands on any, I am pretty sure in the past I have seen identical boards with either NEC or ALD. For quite a number of years there was also a fake NEC company operating in China, so that plays into my theory.
I don't know that you missed anything. If others exist, they were likely developed years later for use in industrial systems and such.

The ALi 1439 is interesting. I'd never heard of that one before.

ali1439 and via496 are also bridged
i believe most ald chipsets are remarked from other brands, the ald439/428 for example are remarked from ali1489/1487. i used to suspect that the ald488 is remarked form nec, but from the ald488 datasheet i feel that they are different, and i can't find any corresponding prototype that it could be remarked from.

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the story with your location? Are you actually in China? It seems to be the easiest place to find weird stuff like ALD.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium