VOGONS

First post, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired one of these old full-height voice coil MFM drives, but the faceplate was completely missing, and one of the resistors that normally sits behind the faceplate has been destroyed by whatever it was that impacted the faceplate. The repair manual scan on bitsavers is nearly useless thanks to how bad the scan quality is, and mechanically, the drive isn't seized and doesn't seem to have any noticeable stiction when I rotated the spindle a little by hand.

The 5v rail is also shorted to ground, but that's not as big of a concern since it's likely just a capacitor somewhere that's gone bad. My main issue is with the missing resistor since I do not know what value it is meant to be.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Geforcefly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I literally was given one of these drives, so I was able to find the location of the missing resistor and it looks to be Red, Orange, Green, Brown (2.3M 1%). My drive also apparently has a short (one of the rails measures 37 ohms but the DMM says shorted?). My PCB board revision is a little different than yours, but the location of the resistor is the same. My drive was made on Jan 1985.

Attachments

DOS/Win3.1: PCChips M396F v2.2 | 386SX-33 | 16MB RAM | 420MB HDD | CL-GD5429 1MB
Win98: ASRock 775i65G 3.0 | Pentium E5800 @ 3.3GHz | 512MB DDR (TCCD) | 80GB HDD | Radeon 9800 Pro

Reply 2 of 3, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Geforcefly wrote on 2022-11-05, 04:52:

I literally was given one of these drives, so I was able to find the location of the missing resistor and it looks to be Red, Orange, Green, Brown (2.3M 1%). My drive also apparently has a short (one of the rails measures 37 ohms but the DMM says shorted?). My PCB board revision is a little different than yours, but the location of the resistor is the same. My drive was made on Jan 1985.

oh man, thanks! i didn't notice that you replied, but that's exactly what I need!

Reply 3 of 3, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds more like a brown, green , orange , red = 15kohms with 2% tolerance (the space between the fist 3 stripes and the last one makes more sense). You have another one on your board selected in the picture you can desolder and measure it with a multimeter just to be sure.

Attachments

• resistor2.jpg
    Filename
    resistor2.jpg
    File size
    179 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • resistor.jpg
    Filename
    resistor.jpg