VOGONS

First post, by Dooser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently bought a Thinkpad 365X and was disappointed to see it wouldn't POST. No display, no beeps, just the FDD and HDD access lights ON all the time. Just like in this video: https://youtu.be/7xmpJXRBp1o.

I had a close look at the system board and found that one of the capacitors (C78) had leaked. It's highlighted in the attached image. After cleaning up the mess and replacing it, the laptop started right up. In my case one of the pads was damaged from the corrosion, but there was plenty of surrounding metal to solder to.

An identical capacitor (C29?) can be found nearby and should also be replaced, but mine tested good so I left it in.

Hopefully this will help someone revive their computer.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by Dooser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have confirmed and fixed the exact same problem in a second unit, which means that probably all of them are affected.

FYI, the plastics in these have become extremely brittle over the years. It's practically impossible to disassemble them without breaking a lot of the smaller pieces. Do not remove the screen and system board, if possible.

Also, while the sound chip might be good, the on-board speaker is absolutely horrible.