VOGONS

Reply 60 of 158, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:21:
Windows Xp is 21 years old(2001) ...What exactly do you consider old enough to fit the retro tag ? […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2022-10-17, 20:02:
For me, a lot of it comes down to how well modern hardware can reproduce the experience. Systems like the C64 can be emulated ve […]
Show full quote

For me, a lot of it comes down to how well modern hardware can reproduce the experience. Systems like the C64 can be emulated very well, but it doesn't seem the same without the old hardware. Running DOSbox doesn't feel the same as running an old DOS machine. I also have a crt that I can easily hook up to an old computer, but most modern computers don't have the VGA out.

Another thing I need to remind myself is whether or not I'd actually use it. I recently saw a Commodore Pet for $25 come up locally. It looked mint, but it would just sit around my apartment untouched.

There are some systems that still offer features unavailable or rare on modern computers that are worthwhile. In addition to the crt example, the Atari ST is a good example because it has midi out.

The Windows XP era is an interesting case. I have some games that don't run well on Windows 10 that would be perfect on an XP system, but I have a hard time justifying buying an XP computer. The XP experience just doesn't feel retro to me, so I would only buy a system if it is both cheap and small. While some thin clients meet those requirements, I haven't found any with a GPU that meets the requirements that I need. Same goes for laptops from that era.

Windows Xp is 21 years old(2001) ...What exactly do you consider old enough to fit the retro tag ?

Say we take Windows 98 ...its only 3 years older than XP ..how about Windows 95 thats 6 years older than XP, Time is a funny thing and I think some people dont realise that we are now closer to 2050 than we are to 1980, for me anything before Core 2 is old enough to hit that retro tag ..anything before the Pentium 75 is now old enough to be a museum piece.

We could go back even further .. Windows 3.11 is 1993 what makes 93 any more retro than 2001 ..its less than 10 years difference, again I think its that peoples idea of time is a little skewed and we forget just how old XP actually is.

What's comforting to me is that in a few years Core2 will be in that retro area and I will be able to pass on all the tinkering knowledge I have from my collection, its going to be a fun time for sure, the Core2 era was pretty crazy.

If to judge the Windows XP's age not by date of birth, but by date of its death, i.e. 2014, it suddenly appears to be quite a young bloke. 🙂

Reply 61 of 158, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:38:
Windows Xp is 21 years old(2001) ...What exactly do you consider old enough to fit the retro tag ? […]
Show full quote
For me, a lot of it comes down to how well modern hardware can reproduce the experience. Systems like the C64 can be emulated ve […]
Show full quote

For me, a lot of it comes down to how well modern hardware can reproduce the experience. Systems like the C64 can be emulated very well, but it doesn't seem the same without the old hardware. Running DOSbox doesn't feel the same as running an old DOS machine. I also have a crt that I can easily hook up to an old computer, but most modern computers don't have the VGA out.

Another thing I need to remind myself is whether or not I'd actually use it. I recently saw a Commodore Pet for $25 come up locally. It looked mint, but it would just sit around my apartment untouched.

There are some systems that still offer features unavailable or rare on modern computers that are worthwhile. In addition to the crt example, the Atari ST is a good example because it has midi out.

The Windows XP era is an interesting case. I have some games that don't run well on Windows 10 that would be perfect on an XP system, but I have a hard time justifying buying an XP computer. The XP experience just doesn't feel retro to me, so I would only buy a system if it is both cheap and small. While some thin clients meet those requirements, I haven't found any with a GPU that meets the requirements that I need. Same goes for laptops from that era.

Windows Xp is 21 years old(2001) ...What exactly do you consider old enough to fit the retro tag ?

Say we take Windows 98 ...its only 3 years older than XP ..how about Windows 95 thats 6 years older than XP, Time is a funny thing and I think some people dont realise that we are now closer to 2050 than we are to 1980, for me anything before Core 2 is old enough to hit that retro tag ..anything before the Pentium 75 is now old enough to be a museum piece.

We could go back even further .. Windows 3.11 is 1993 what makes 93 any more retro than 2001 ..its less than 10 years difference, again I think its that peoples idea of time is a little skewed and we forget just how old XP actually is.

What's comforting to me is that in a few years Core2 will be in that retro area and I will be able to pass on all the tinkering knowledge I have from my collection, its going to be a fun time for sure, the Core2 era was pretty crazy.

If to judge the Windows XP's age not by date of birth, but by date of its death, i.e. 2014, it suddenly appears to be quite a young bloke. 🙂

It isn't dead yet nor is 98 or 95 either unless you go by EOL from MS and even then 98SE was in 2006 and 95 was 2001 which makes them all young blokes so this little game works both directions 😜

Reply 62 of 158, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:42:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:38:
Show full quote

It isn't dead yet nor is 98 or 95 either unless you go by EOL from MS and even then 98SE was in 2006 and 95 was 2001 which makes them all young blokes so this little game works both directions 😜

... and old buddy DOS is still alive and kicking (mostly inside cheap new laptops, making them thus even cheaper) 😉

Reply 63 of 158, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From 1992/01/01 to 2001/12/31, we experienced from Windows 3.0 to Windows XP in a decade. Very few people were using the former by the time the latter came out. Changes in ten years were revolutionary: built-in TCP/IP, NTFS, UTF-8, USB mass storage, "true" user account controls, computer and disk management tools, etc.

From 2010/01/01 to 2019/12/31, we experienced from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in a decade. Most people were still using the former by the time the latter came out; non-tech savvy users can hardly tell their differences other than cosmetic changes of UI.

Reply 64 of 158, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dormcat wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:52:

From 1992/01/01 to 2001/12/31, we experienced from Windows 3.0 to Windows XP in a decade. Very few people were using the former by the time the latter came out. Changes in ten years were revolutionary: built-in TCP/IP, NTFS, UTF-8, USB mass storage, "true" user account controls, computer and disk management tools, etc.

From 2010/01/01 to 2019/12/31, we experienced from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in a decade. Most people were still using the former by the time the latter came out; non-tech savvy users can hardly tell their differences other than cosmetic changes of UI.

I believe that by the time XP rolled around MS had nailed the direction they wanted the UI to go in so cosmetic changes from then on was all that was needed .. till Windows 8 which MS decided to jump the shark with ..then right back to the normal XP UI for Windows 10/11, its small wonder that people forget how old XP is and why they still think of it as being something recent and 95/98 as being old when they are honestly not that much older than XP.

That DOS/Win3.11 to Windows 95 change is what I use to divide Vintage from Retro and then XP to Vista(Aero) is the Retro to Modern divide .. at least for me. (Anything prior to MS DOS is pure museum quality kit and if its still functional I hope its well cared for)

Its a nice clear divide that has never failed me.

Reply 65 of 158, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-18, 06:17:

That DOS/Win3.11 to Windows 95 change is what I use to divide Vintage from Retro and then XP to Vista(Aero) is the Retro to Modern divide .. at least for me. (Anything prior to MS DOS is pure museum quality kit and if its still functional I hope its well cared for)

Its a nice clear divide that has never failed me.

For me, vintage is everything before 386, like 286, 86, 88, V20, V30.
And Retro ends with DOS based Windows, so the change is from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP.
I consider to call newer ones as classic computer or Youngtimer.

Reply 66 of 158, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My very first PC was a Pentium 133, so that's as far as my nostalgia goes. Socket 7 systems are sufficiently modern that I don't have to worry about barrel battery leakage and whatnot. Sure, there are a few annoyances like finding the correct PS2 mouse pinout for a particular motherboard, but it's still relatively easy to get such a system up and running.

Because some of my buddies had 486 rigs back in the day, I am somewhat familiar with them too, but I have no particular desire to own one. I've seen 286 and 386 systems at that time as well, even played some games on them, but I have zero interest in acquiring one now. Besides not triggering any nostalgia vibes for me, these older machines often need more work to get running, which reduces my interest in them even further.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 67 of 158, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My cutoff is sometime in the '70s. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to experience the priginal UNIX, but I don't have space for a PDP-8. I do quite enjoy Rush, Judas Priest, and Bee Gees' deep cuts, though. Besides that, I don't really have a cutoff, but I do have a type -- I tend to gravitate towards later PowerPC stuff, especially 3:2 and 4:3 laptops. If I do go x86/amd64, it tends to be from between 1998 and 2007. I'd like to put together a 486 machine one day, I just don't know much about the period so I'd feel fairly lost.

Would like to rebuild my childhood machine -- issue is, I don't know what it was. It was a Pentium 4 prebuilt from I think HP or Dell (the case had branding stickers on it for P4 and Windows XP, and an XP license on the back -- as well as a licensed BIOS splash) that had a case almost identical to the In Win Z583, and at some point someone put a BFG GeForce 7800 GT in it, and my dad got sick of me getting viruses so it eventually got Mandriva 2009 installed.

Definitely wouldn't have existed in 1978, probably not even 1998, but I did contemplate what it might look like shoving eight Z80s, an MMU, and 2MB RAM on a Micro ATX-sized board with a makeshift 2D accelerator card consisting of three V9958s, one for each color.

As for an upper bound, I guess 945 or Opteron 4000 series, for the same reason as each other. At least for amd64; my next PC will be a Raptor Blackbird.

Last edited by lepidotós on 2022-10-19, 01:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 158, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote
Show full quote

What is or isn't a retro experience isn't a matter of how old something is to me. Keep in mind I'm talking about my own subjective experience, not just how much time has gone by. Personally, XP feels fairly modern to me. Apart from a couple of games, I have been able to run almost every game from that on my Windows 10 computer. For me, a lot of these games feel modern apart from having worse graphics.

I'll contrast why the pre-XP era feels more retro to me.

First of all, it introduced a lot of hardware that allowed for a lot of creativity. Game developers were able to experiment with more advanced digitized sound and 3D graphics for instance. CD games were also introduced. It's fun going back to the "pioneers" so to speak. Because the technology matured at different times, you had games that were more advanced in some areas (e.g., sound) but more primitive in others (e.g., graphics). I find these juxtapositions interesting. Games like Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites would be good examples. By comparison, I feel like a lot of hardware matured during the XP era and hasn't changed greatly since then. I got my first widescreen monitor during this time, and while a variety of aspect rations have been introduced, the change doesn't feel the same as going from 4:3 to widescreen. After digital audio and higher capacity media were introduced, most improvements in sound have been small and incremental.

For some games, there are no modern day equivalents that come close to reproducing the experience. For example, the first two Jagged Alliance games were mind-blowing. To this day, I haven't found any game recreate those experiences as well as the original JAs did. There are some series that started back in the 90s, but over time, their modern versions have strayed further from the original experience. For example, the original X-COM games are more complex than any of the modern XCOM games. The Civilization games have also become more and more modernized as well. I still see new 4X space games that claim to capture the Master of Orion 2 experience. There's also Starflight, Star Control II, and a bunch of others that come to mind.

The culture and atmosphere changed quite a bit from the DOS-Win 98 era to the XP era. I'm really nostalgic for the Shareware era. I still like to pick up those old Shareware CDs and see what's one them. Games also felt more like a labor of love back then, as they made by small teams that were very passionate about their games (remember the old 200 page manuals?). In the 2000s, the teams creating games grew larger, and it felt more corporate in a way. That's not all bad, but for me, it lost some of the magic. Later on, I mainly played games that I bought at a large chain store, and later Steam. I missed the fun I had with trading Shareware games with friends or grabbing them from CDs.

Reply 69 of 158, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2022-10-18, 05:52:

I could come up with a bunch of differences off the top of my head between each 90s OS that I've used. I'd have to be reminded of what changed between Windows 7 and 10. Since XP, I only have a vague idea of things getting more icon based, which I never cared for. I prefer menus containing text over anything that requires me to hover over it to remind me what it is.

Reply 70 of 158, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2022-10-18, 09:51:
What is or isn't a retro experience isn't a matter of how old something is to me. Keep in mind I'm talking about my own subjecti […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

What is or isn't a retro experience isn't a matter of how old something is to me. Keep in mind I'm talking about my own subjective experience, not just how much time has gone by. Personally, XP feels fairly modern to me. Apart from a couple of games, I have been able to run almost every game from that on my Windows 10 computer. For me, a lot of these games feel modern apart from having worse graphics.

I'll contrast why the pre-XP era feels more retro to me.

First of all, it introduced a lot of hardware that allowed for a lot of creativity. Game developers were able to experiment with more advanced digitized sound and 3D graphics for instance. CD games were also introduced. It's fun going back to the "pioneers" so to speak. Because the technology matured at different times, you had games that were more advanced in some areas (e.g., sound) but more primitive in others (e.g., graphics). I find these juxtapositions interesting. Games like Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites would be good examples. By comparison, I feel like a lot of hardware matured during the XP era and hasn't changed greatly since then. I got my first widescreen monitor during this time, and while a variety of aspect rations have been introduced, the change doesn't feel the same as going from 4:3 to widescreen. After digital audio and higher capacity media were introduced, most improvements in sound have been small and incremental.

For some games, there are no modern day equivalents that come close to reproducing the experience. For example, the first two Jagged Alliance games were mind-blowing. To this day, I haven't found any game recreate those experiences as well as the original JAs did. There are some series that started back in the 90s, but over time, their modern versions have strayed further from the original experience. For example, the original X-COM games are more complex than any of the modern XCOM games. The Civilization games have also become more and more modernized as well. I still see new 4X space games that claim to capture the Master of Orion 2 experience. There's also Starflight, Star Control II, and a bunch of others that come to mind.

The culture and atmosphere changed quite a bit from the DOS-Win 98 era to the XP era. I'm really nostalgic for the Shareware era. I still like to pick up those old Shareware CDs and see what's one them. Games also felt more like a labor of love back then, as they made by small teams that were very passionate about their games (remember the old 200 page manuals?). In the 2000s, the teams creating games grew larger, and it felt more corporate in a way. That's not all bad, but for me, it lost some of the magic. Later on, I mainly played games that I bought at a large chain store, and later Steam. I missed the fun I had with trading Shareware games with friends or grabbing them from CDs.

Ahhh another person of culture I see .. you too like old shareware tat too !!

I collect it, I just cant ignore a good old DOS/Win 3.11 shareware collection CD, also recently bought a huge number of PC magazine CDs/DVDs from 97ish through to 04, no idea why they were selling them off but I couldn't resist. The huge amount of old drivers, patches and software makes them invaluable for retro tinkering.

I too remember the old manuals . .still have my manuals from CIV II Gold along with dozens of other big box games from that era, my favourite being the manual from Klingon Academy, such a fun manual to read.

Reply 71 of 158, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fun question, and fun read!

While I have older computers in my collection, I only actively collect and use PCs from the ATX era, beginning with Pentium II systems. And when I say collect, I collect spare parts for my active systems in an effort to avoid time consuming repairs with soldering, caps replacements etc. It's fun watching PC building and repairs on YouTube, but I don't enjoy doing it myself, mostly because I live in a cramped space with no dedicated area for repairs etc.

The reason I'm in the hobby is to be able to play old games on real hardware as opposed to emulation. My current setup is as follows:

PII KLAMATH 233 MHz SYSTEM
for MS-DOS/Windows 3.11; Sound Blaster 16 (OPL 3)/AWE 32 + external midi modules; S3 ViRGE/Velocity 64

PII DESCHUTES 333 MHz SYSTEM
for Windows 95; Sound Blaster AWE 64 + external midi modules; Matrox Millenium/Voodoo Banshee/ATI Rage Pro

P!!! COPPERMINE 933 MHz SYSTEM
for Windows 98 SE; Sound Blaster Live! + external midi modules; Voodoo 3/Geforce 3 Ti 200

CORE i5-2500K SYSTEM
for Windows XP; Soundblaster Audigy 2/X-Fi; GeForce GTX 580/750/950

CORE i7-2600K SYSTEM
for Windows 7; GeForce GTX 980/1080

...and I'm currently collecting parts for an AMD Athlon system for Windows Me.

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 72 of 158, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-16, 16:36:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-16, 16:21:

I do have a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 and a Vic20.

I've always been curious about the Amigas, having never owned or used one. How do you find it compares to DOS era machines? Is an Amiga worth having?

The Amiga is great for certain games, but they're getting old and slow (apart from the 3000 and 4000 which is out of reach for most of us).

I have an A500, but rarely use it. But every now and then I hook it up and enjoy some racing games like Stunt Car Racer, Test Drive and Lotus. The graphics and music is superb and way beyond anything from the EGA era of DOS games. I had one as a kid, but moved on to the PC when the Amiga became too slow to handle games like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization.

Reply 73 of 158, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's fun to tinker with miss matched hardware made as fast as possible for an OS or just with old high end hardware for cheap. Parts that were the best for overclocking or tweaking the most out of your system.

Some examples:
Socket A Abit KT7, 1GHz thunderbird, TNT2 ultra with ISA soundcard for dos/98
LGA775 pentium @4ghz and FX5900U for win98/xp
X58 x5675 @ 4.5ghz, GTX 480 for XP/win7

It's nice to own some spares when something eventually breaks but not interested in hoarding parts I'm not going to use.

Reply 74 of 158, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Simmerhead wrote on 2022-10-18, 10:41:
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-16, 16:36:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-16, 16:21:

I do have a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 and a Vic20.

I've always been curious about the Amigas, having never owned or used one. How do you find it compares to DOS era machines? Is an Amiga worth having?

The Amiga is great for certain games, but they're getting old and slow (apart from the 3000 and 4000 which is out of reach for most of us).

I have an A500, but rarely use it. But every now and then I hook it up and enjoy some racing games like Stunt Car Racer, Test Drive and Lotus. The graphics and music is superb and way beyond anything from the EGA era of DOS games. I had one as a kid, but moved on to the PC when the Amiga became too slow to handle games like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization.

Old and slow is kinda why we are here 🤣

The A1200 is still a very viable machine for music trackers and even video editing, they are more expensive than the A500 but well worth investing in.

Reply 75 of 158, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-18, 11:24:

Old and slow is kinda why we are here 🤣

The A1200 is still a very viable machine for music trackers and even video editing, they are more expensive than the A500 but well worth investing in.

He he. Yes and no. If it's too slow, I like retro. If it's adequate, I go vintage 😀

The A1200 is very desirable, but rare and expensive, so not an option for most of us regular folks.

I use Windows 98 for trackers now, and I just installed mod4win on my Windows 98 machine so I can blast old hits from Dr. Awesome and Lizardking via my Sound Blaster!

Reply 76 of 158, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For something to be retro, time is a factor, but technological advancement is another. Even though there were only 8 years between Windows 3.11 and XP, if you use the current pace of development as your benchmark it might as well have been 100.

we are closer to 2050 than we are to 1980

This makes me feel depressed. The 1987 version of me would definitely agree that the "future" sucks.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 77 of 158, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only way to have a correct comparison in this post is to disconnect personal emotions from the hardware and not indicate things "for us" are retro and what not. I repeat: the great steps took place when the computer passed from university laboratories to the homes of enthusiasts and ended when computers became "mainstream", in this way computers had to adapt to the masses of people following this evolution and losing the most romantic and pioneering one. From 486 to pentium 2 there was the most romantic epic. Across 80 an 90 we move to 4 color to 256, no other step was so noticeable at our biological eyes.

Reply 78 of 158, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wild, same span as 3.1 to XP we had 100Mhz to 1Ghz and 500MB to 500GB HDD... Same pace of development from 8 years ago in 2014 to today and we should have 40Ghz CPUs with 2 Petabyte hard drives, with a Bio-neural thought operated OS. We had Moore's law, now we've got Mooreslaw, which is like coleslaw only with shredded dreams instead of shredded cabbage.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 79 of 158, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a little weird, I tend to go for the things I didn't own or couldn't afford at the time.

Examples:

I had an XT machine , but my friend had a 286. So I collected a 286.
I had a DX4/100 which was ok but I couldn't afford a Pentium at the time, so I collected a P-90
I had Amigas, but I couldn't afford accelerators, so now I have Amigas with accelerators.

What I really have no interest in owning now are the things I owned back then...I feel like I had enough experience with that. The exception being machines I assembled just to be able to play games of the eras, these I just pimp out as much as possible for the best experience and I don't care about vintage or being period correct.

I don't own a C64 even though I have always wanted one since I had a friend who had one, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. Don't want to own a ][gs, or any Atari machines...I rambling now.