VOGONS

Olivetti M20 monitor

Topic actions

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I've found 1983 Olivetti M20 on a flea market today. Sadly I didn't get dedicated monitor with it. It uses priproietary video connector, but the pinout seems to be standard mono video. But there is no Intensity signal.
Can such video signal been used with MDA monitor with the intensity pin non connected?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 54, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find ! Theoretically a MDA monitor that can do 720x350 pixels could work as the output is 512x256 pixels. A big unknown is the Horizontal sync signal, would assume it be about 15.7Khz but in the manuals I did not see a reference.
Another thing as you mentioned is no Intensity and the page you got the picture from states the video is in a coax, which is odd because TTL levels do not need that but it could be to keep the signals shielded...
Another thing interesting is that the full pin-out of that slot has R, G, B connections too (and in the manual it describes using a color monitor of either 4 or 8 color) which may line up with the early MDA pinouts also as the very early ones did have those signal pins but were almost never used....
some info if others are interested: http://www.z80ne.com/m20/index.php and the FTP with docs/etc: ftp://ftp.groessler.org/pub/chris/olivetti_m20
I leave the decoding the vid signals to others with more grey matter ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My M20 CRT controller is HD46505 by Hitachi. I know that it's not the complete video circutry, but I guess it can be a sign that it's somewhat compatible with IBM's MDA standard.

Reply 3 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That z80ne.com site states that M20 uses Hsync not compatible with CGA, so it's not 15,7KHz. But sadly they do not state what the HSync is, but since MDA has different HSync that CGA I guess there is still a chance...

Attachments

Reply 4 of 54, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe a NEC Multisync might work ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 54, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-10-22, 12:17:

VSync is 70Hz and that's a problem

What is the pixel clock? vsync and hsync matter less than the pixel clock (even though you might get a rolling image it at least won’t explode)

Reply 9 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found forum in Italian where (if I understand correctly) someone was able to use MDA monitor and adjust H Sync and V Sync:
https://it.comp.retrocomputing.narkive.com/mo … eo-olivetti-m20

Reply 10 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm thinking that Sync is not the only problem, but that something is broken.
I've replaced potentiometer on VHold setting and as the screen isn't rolling upside down so I bet it's synced.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if it's MDA compatible or not, but I am sure it is not what a healty video output should look like.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 54, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-10-22, 12:50:

What is the pixel clock? vsync and hsync matter less than the pixel clock (even though you might get a rolling image it at least won’t explode)

The pixel clock doesn't matter at all, it just determines how wide pixels are. Of course, the pixel clock combined with the number of pixels per line (including the blanking time) determine the horizontal frequency. This is the most important timing parameter , because the high voltage generation circuit and the horizontal deflection circuit are designed around this frequency. Especially in fixed-frequency monitors, the design is often resonant, and even worse: There are some monitors that might break if the horizontal frequency is too low, because the deflection circuit is overdriven in that case. Incidentally, the original IBM MDA monitor is one of these rare beasts. That's why connecting a MDA monitor to an unknown signal that might be at CGA frequencies is a dangerous suggestion.

vsync mismatch also is harmless, it will just cause a rolling image, just as you describe.

Reply 13 of 54, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-10-25, 17:43:

I'm not sure if it's MDA compatible or not, but I am sure it is not what a healty video output should look like.

What signal are you scoping?

Reply 14 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2022-10-25, 18:05:

B/W video

Attachments

Reply 15 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

H Sync is 18,73 kHz and V Sync is 68 Hz.
The monitor I'm using got a fluorescent lamp on the CRT neck connection board and I guess it's some kind of security. Also that monitor got a H Hold potentiometer (sadly not soldered, just a place for it on main PCB) so I guess it's tolerant for some H Sync changes.

Reply 16 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2022-10-25, 18:05:

For a comparison that's MDA video output.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 54, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-10-25, 17:43:

that looks more like interference from adjacent wires. especially given the low voltage.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 18 of 54, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I think the same. While both HSync and VSync looks good, the B/W video is garbage. I do not have much experience with that, but maybe it's RAM related issue. In Olivetti M20 hardware manual I have found such Video logic diagram.

Attachments

Reply 19 of 54, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the bulb clear see through? That's spark gap protectors to limit voltage *from* the CRT pins, to protect electronic components in that circuit if it go past the spark gap rating.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.