VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was looking up the manual for the Epson Equity III+, a 286 based machine, and notice it mentions that these particular machines had a tri-select speed switch. This model could operate at 6, 8 or 12 MHz.

I know a lot of machines of that era typically had two speed settings, but I hadn't come across anything with triple settings. Does anyone know if there are other machines with multiple speed settings like that?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Commodore PC 10-III and 20-III can be switched between 4.77, 7.16, 9.54 MHz.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting and thanks for the info !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've seen generic AT motherboards support multiple speeds as well, though they are toggled through the keyboard. Not sure what was actually happened though. Maybe it was just adding waitstates and disabling caches.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I haven't come across it on a physical switch, but software turbo with 3 different speeds I've seen in faster 286 boards, like XT-ish speed, AT-ish speed and full speed. Can't remember what though, mostly "incidentally encountered" machines back in the day, nothing I know I've got.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.