VOGONS

First post, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other day I got a Compaq Armada 7350MT sold for parts which lacks the hard drive connector:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

It seems I have the right kind of connector in my parts bin although it was not a Compaq so I can't just check pinout to see what matches. The caddy used by Compaqs seems to be really rare and tough to obtain these days so buying one without the drive was a bit of a mistake. It seems that this 50 pin connector was used in the Compaq LTE series and many of the Armada series in the Pentium and Pentium II era:

IMG_3274 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3274 (Custom).JPG
File size
929.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Compaq don't seem to have documented the pinout anywhere but I found this: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/comme … eige_connector/
That's a single sided flat flex PCB going into the 50 pin HDD connector and a 44 pin notebook IDE connector. Which is great because that means all the traces are visible in this picture.
I am assuming that the Compaq 50 pin IDE connector pinout is unchanged through the LTE series and the Armada series, but I don't see why they'd change the actual pinout since it's only really used to make the hard drive connector survive being inserted and removed many times. (and lock people into buying the Compaq drive packs to get warranty service...)

So I traced them out and it seems to make sense - the pinout is pretty logical:

tracing the wires.jpg
Filename
tracing the wires.jpg
File size
378.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here's what I've got so far, the notable differences are that the connector skips the DMA, CSEL and IORDY pins.

Compaq 50 pin HDD.png
Filename
Compaq 50 pin HDD.png
File size
31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Does anyone have a Compaq LTE or Armada laptop and could verify the caddy's connections?

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the pinout I've put here is correct for the Compaq LTE 5300 going by the reddit thread, but there are some little differences that I'm seeing that have me worried, some mystery pins:

armada7300-partial.png
Filename
armada7300-partial.png
File size
58.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is also guessing, but I think the pinout for the 7700 series would be the same since it's implied they're inter-changeable apart from the form factor difference that you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfEKJKHG98

Reply 2 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To follow this up, I now have this working with the following pinout - this is verified working for both the Armada 73xx and 7400 series laptops since I found the 73xx and 7400 series use the same adapter, with the 7400 having some extra caddy components to make it quick release-able.
DMA works with a Compact Flash that supports it, but with the way I've wired it up this could even work with an SSD or other IDE device 😀

Attachments