VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-05-29, 04:40:

Any thought as to wether there is a jumper on this motherboard for putting the onboard cpu into flt? So as to allow the socketed cpu to function?

I fiddled around with the different jumpers that say factory set do not use, and all I was able to do was make the board non-bootable. I worked on it for a while but I never found a jumper that didn't have a function labelled that disabled the onboard CPU. I wish I knew more about this tech, but this is only my 3rd 386 motherboard I have used behind a Packard Bell PB 500SX, and a Tandy 2500SX/33. I am glad you got it figured out, though.

Reply 41 of 43, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nathanieltolbert wrote on 2023-07-21, 16:35:
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-05-29, 04:40:

Any thought as to wether there is a jumper on this motherboard for putting the onboard cpu into flt? So as to allow the socketed cpu to function?

I fiddled around with the different jumpers that say factory set do not use, and all I was able to do was make the board non-bootable. I worked on it for a while but I never found a jumper that didn't have a function labelled that disabled the onboard CPU. I wish I knew more about this tech, but this is only my 3rd 386 motherboard I have used behind a Packard Bell PB 500SX, and a Tandy 2500SX/33. I am glad you got it figured out, though.

Yeah, sparing us missing something it seems this board with onboard cpu isn’t made to be easily upgraded. But as you can see lifting and gnding flt pin does the trick!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 43 of 43, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No prob 😀

I now have a pga 386 intel cpu I can try in the socket, but probably won’t undo the flt mod to investigate it. I suspect it just won’t work and flt mod will end up being required. (Waste of time) though I am curious. If someone has one of these boards with a built in cpu and a upgrade cpu works without flt mod Please do let me know. As that will be unexpected and prompt me to investigate.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)