VOGONS

KVM cables

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had a question , would it be possible to use any kind of ps2 extender cables on a belkin omnivew kvm in place of the ones that came with it

ie something like this:

s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
14.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

, would it also be possible to use any vga cable you wanted or are the ones that come with it proprietary in some way?

Reply 1 of 6, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also while I'm here I might as well ask , I've been thinking about a potential setup involving a db25 switchbox , and using two LPT sound cards , would that even work if say the switchbox was connected to the pc with a 1-3 meter db25 cable , or would the cable be too long and cause problems with the sound cards?

This is sorta the thing id be going for

61PV3Cn2bvL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Filename
File size
70 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presumably yes, if the connectors are standard and the pinout is straight through. You can use a multimeter to test the provided cables and get some with a matching pinout.

If you don't have the original cables, you might get the information you need from the manual

Reply 3 of 6, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-10-22, 05:09:

Presumably yes, if the connectors are standard and the pinout is straight through. You can use a multimeter to test the provided cables and get some with a matching pinout.

If you don't have the original cables, you might get the information you need from the manual

I do have the original cables but I'm not super happy with them , I guess ill use a multimeter to check the pinout like you said.

Reply 4 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had original cables with a KVM, always used standard cables off eBay. I've always assumed you can always use 3rd party cables, but I may have just been lucky.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 6, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-22, 04:48:
I just had a question , would it be possible to use any kind of ps2 extender cables on a belkin omnivew kvm in place of the ones […]
Show full quote

I just had a question , would it be possible to use any kind of ps2 extender cables on a belkin omnivew kvm in place of the ones that came with it

ie something like this:
s-l500.jpg

, would it also be possible to use any vga cable you wanted or are the ones that come with it proprietary in some way?

So I have 2 omniviews, the dual input and quad input with audio. I've also got 2 different types of Belkin "KVM" cables and from what I can see there's nothing special about them. First kind has the PS/2 cables 'attached' to the sides of the vga cable (as in mouse, kb, and vga are separately cabled but physically molded/tied together if that makes sense), second kind it's just all separate cables. Both work. Hell, my XP machine needs a PS/2 to USB adapter to work and the belkin doesnt care.

Use whatever you got on hand, I guess. I do have some kind of short PS/2 male-to-female extenders or something and they work, too, and I have no idea where they came from.

At some point with my quad input, I just used whatever vga and PS/2 cables I had on hand with no issues

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 6 of 6, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-22, 05:08:

Also while I'm here I might as well ask , I've been thinking about a potential setup involving a db25 switchbox , and using two LPT sound cards , would that even work if say the switchbox was connected to the pc with a 1-3 meter db25 cable , or would the cable be too long and cause problems with the sound cards?

This is sorta the thing id be going for

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, if it does with way more bandwidth intensive stuff like scanners, printers, etc. Definitely worth a try at least 😀