VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-26, 04:28:

With ssd don’t forget to disable swap/page file and defraging

I've never used an SSD on an older build, I would have ignored all of those if not for your comment. Thanks!

Reply 21 of 22, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No prob 😀 you want to avoid writing to the “disk”. It has a finite life, so disable things that write and rewrite often.

Defragmentation will have almost no improvement on a ssd but will wear it out.

A page file will really wear it out if you are using it heavily. Even light use will decrease drive life.

Nice thing about magnetic storage is how much you can rewrite and write without consern. But ssds are really fast.

Modern operating systems take these issues into account. Older ones don’t.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 22, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working. I do not remember any issues using a 250GB IDE on a P4 board last year installing 98SE to a 32GB partition. Did patch it Windows after so it could see the whole 250GB.
Maybe because I installed off the HD (copied cabs to it) it didn't puke on the size larger than 127Gb but know I didn't have to anything just to install it, maybe because it was the OEM Dell 98SE version it worked w/o error....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun