VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

Last year I got an ATI HD 2600 XT AGP for my Windows XP (32 bit) build as I was advised it would probably be the most powerful I could find for that OS, with AGP interface through my Asus K8V-X board. I remember that even at the time I had trouble installing it, as Windows XP always took the drivers as unsigned so Catalyst setup would always skip over the drivers, reporting it in the log.

I ended up having to do it through Device Manager and pointing Windows to the .inf file, in this case CX171026.inf. The drivers package I used was "14-4-xp32-64-dd-ccc-pack1", the only drivers I could find that would work in XP, albeit with these issues.

I used the PC normally, and now a year later I was using it with some different games I hadn't played before, and I immediately noticed small graphical aspects that I attributed to drivers. I remembered my previous pain with them, still I tried again to find fully compatible ones, as in installing normally through Catalyst setup. I had no such luck again, as all of them abort the installation even through .inf pointing in Device Manager, stating they "couldn't find the necessary file", not specifying anything else.

I tried then to at least return to the previous drivers I had installed, and now I can't even reinstall them through .inf pointing as before, as it keeps asking for ATIICDXX.dat, which I only found as ATIICDXX.msi. If I try to run the .msi one it states it's not a Windows Installer. Before that it also asked for ATI2EREC.dll, which I could download separately and place in the System32 folder, but the ATIICDXX.dat just won't let me go through. So now I'm at a loss with all this.

1. Does anyone know of fully working signed drivers for Win XP 32bit for this card? Maybe even a CD image somewhere?

2. If not, could you at least point me out to some high end AGP cards for Windows XP 32 bit that is fully working in this OS? I'll just get another card if it comes to that.

3. My plan was to solve this graphic card issue in order to then upgrade my AMD Sempron 2800+ to a 3700+ Athlon 64. As my board is an Asus K8V-X, according to CPU upgrade it's compatible right?

As always, thanks in advance for all your help and replies

Last edited by andre_6 on 2022-10-28, 01:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try the 8.3 driver https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/ati-ca ... it),4.html

I've used this with my HD3850 AGP. You may have to force install, hopefully not though. The 14.4 driver is not optimised for older hardware.
Use a display driver uninstaller first.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be sure to run the installer as an administrator, and uncheck the "Protect my computer from" blah blah blah.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 8, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2022-10-28, 00:20:

Try the 8.3 driver https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/ati-ca ... it),4.html

I've used this with my HD3850 AGP. You may have to force install, hopefully not though. The 14.4 driver is not optimised for older hardware.
Use a display driver uninstaller first.

Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-10-28, 00:40:

Be sure to run the installer as an administrator, and uncheck the "Protect my computer from" blah blah blah.

Thanks for your help guys, no luck. I used DDU version 1.6 which uninstalled everything swiftly, and restarted. Ran the 8.3 driver as an admin and unchecked the "protect" box. It extracted, allowed me to choose the type of install, and when it came to launch the ATI Display driver setup it displayed that "setup did not find a driver compatible with your hardware..."

I also followed this tutorial to a tee with its files as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmflrDk6Ew

Which also used .inf pointing to install the drivers, but while the author's installed well, mine go all the way to the end also, but where it also turns black with the cursor on the top left for a second I get a window that instead of saying "drivers installed" says "Couldn't install... didn't find the specified file", but again, not stating at all what that file is...

Reply 4 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had similar issues with an HD4650 years ago - the only installer I found that worked without having to force install the driver were from the manufacturer's site.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this AGP hotfix driver https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BO … 06-for-XP.shtml

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 8, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-10-28, 01:43:

I had similar issues with an HD4650 years ago - the only installer I found that worked without having to force install the driver were from the manufacturer's site.

Imperious wrote on 2022-10-28, 01:55:

The drivers from AMD didn't even had the display driver option on the list of item to install, forcing installation led nowhere too...

The AGP hotfix driver was the closest one through normal installation, recognized the display driver to install but midway installing popped a window saying the .inf file wasn't found, after I tried to force install it but at the end got the same "couldn't install driver, didn't find the specified file" message

Reply 7 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like You've got more than just display driver issues if it can't even find the files.

Reply 8 of 8, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solved it!

After everything I've tried, I cleaned everything up once again with DDU, uninstalled and removed the sound card also just in case, and cleaned temp files one more time, etc. Then I picked up a spare FX 5600 XT I have and installed it. It worked fine after the setup, so now I uninstalled its files with DDU again.

I put the XP CD into the drive just in case, re-installed the HD 2600 XT and ran the setup files that came in the tutorial shown in the YouTube link above, which consists of extracting one setup with signed drivers but installing them through .inf pointing, and then extracting another setup to manually install the Catalyst Control Center separately. It worked!

Just in case, I also ditched the drivers I was using with my SB Live 24Bit, and downloaded the CD image for it in Vogons' drivers archive.

What a relief, thank you for your help and pointers, much appreciated