VOGONS

First post, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi fellow enthousiasts,

I could use some help with my Ryzen V5 5500 build.
With this project I have a Ryzen 1200 powered MSI B350 PC-MATE motherboard running, dual booting to either Win98SE or Win10.
This board comes with two PCI slots and one holds my V5 5500PCI. The other slot will soon hold some good sound card (thinking of my Vortex SQ2500 card, or a Live!).

The thing I need help with is CD/DVD drive functionality under Win98SE. I really would hate to keep booting to Win10, copy cd contents to a folder, then to reboot to Win98 and install. Moreover, a lot of games won't work I assume as they will try to search for a physical disc. Not to mention the lack of CD music capability 😐

I bought this cheap JMB363 add-on card, which has drivers, but it still doesn't work. 98 Is not picking up any disc drive. Both Sata connected nor IDE connected:

https://vdhout.nl/2013/04/jmicron-jmb363-add-on-card-ide-rom

So I'm now going to try to flash it as the author describes, to force legacy IDE mode to it. Would that work ?
Or is there any other solution available to get a drive to work under Win98, on a modern board that has no "free" legacy PCI slots for a controller card ?

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 1 of 3, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AzzKickr wrote on 2022-10-29, 19:50:
Hi fellow enthousiasts, […]
Show full quote

Hi fellow enthousiasts,

I could use some help with my Ryzen V5 5500 build.
With this project I have a Ryzen 1200 powered MSI B350 PC-MATE motherboard running, dual booting to either Win98SE or Win10.
This board comes with two PCI slots and one holds my V5 5500PCI. The other slot will soon hold some good sound card (thinking of my Vortex SQ2500 card, or a Live!).

The thing I need help with is CD/DVD drive functionality under Win98SE. I really would hate to keep booting to Win10, copy cd contents to a folder, then to reboot to Win98 and install. Moreover, a lot of games won't work I assume as they will try to search for a physical disc. Not to mention the lack of CD music capability 😐

I bought this cheap JMB363 add-on card, which has drivers, but it still doesn't work. 98 Is not picking up any disc drive. Both Sata connected nor IDE connected:

https://vdhout.nl/2013/04/jmicron-jmb363-add-on-card-ide-rom

So I'm now going to try to flash it as the author describes, to force legacy IDE mode to it. Would that work ?
Or is there any other solution available to get a drive to work under Win98, on a modern board that has no "free" legacy PCI slots for a controller card ?

My Asus P6T motherboard has this JMB363 controller embedded in it. I can toggle IDE mode in BIOS but I still can't detect an IDE DVD drive. But this behavior is only in Windows 98. In XP it works fine. I can even see the drive in DOS if I use XDVD2 and XHDD, found here. That's how I installed 98 to begin with. I still looking for a way to get it to work.

Reply 2 of 3, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These crazy Frankenstein builds are so fascinating.

If you had another PCI slot you could try a PCI storage controller. They have their own bios so they should be able to handle legacy functions.

Many games will allow you to install FMV files on your disc, and some can be configured to play music from local files. As for bypassing the disc check, you can either use a virtual drive emulator or source a no cd patch.

I would bet that you can get the majority of games running (even with music).

You will want to fall back to DOS for older redbook audio games, although I am curious to know if that will work. Even if you can see the drive in DOS, you might not be able to play music from it.

Reply 3 of 3, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2023-06-07, 21:00:
These crazy Frankenstein builds are so fascinating. […]
Show full quote

These crazy Frankenstein builds are so fascinating.

If you had another PCI slot you could try a PCI storage controller. They have their own bios so they should be able to handle legacy functions.

Many games will allow you to install FMV files on your disc, and some can be configured to play music from local files. As for bypassing the disc check, you can either use a virtual drive emulator or source a no cd patch.

I would bet that you can get the majority of games running (even with music).

You will want to fall back to DOS for older redbook audio games, although I am curious to know if that will work. Even if you can see the drive in DOS, you might not be able to play music from it.

I'm not done with the build yet, but it's for sure my most interesting build of the 3 I have done. I'll make a post on it when I have more to show though.

I have an open PCI port so I could try that, but it feels like a waste since that IDE port is just... there. I'd rather populate the PCI port with something more fun.

That solution excludes any Windows games with CD Audio, which is why I want to keep the DVD drive in the first place. I can never get CD Audio to work properly with virtual drives. Otherwise I'd just go full USB/NAS and run off of disk images. One option, I think I have, is just to load the DOS drivers in CONFIG.SYS for Windows to use. I'd really rather get proper Windows drivers to work though. Posters on VOGONS claim XDVD2 works with Redbook Audio.

The crazy thing is, I had problems with the ICH10 chipset SATA ports, in legacy mode, forcing my SSD into super slow compatibility mode. But all I had to do to fix that was slipstream in RLoew's AHCI driver and reinstall with the SATA ports in AHCI mode and it worked flawlessly. Frustratingly his AHCI driver will pick up the SATA ports on the JMB363 controller just fine, but the IDE port is still dead to Windows 98.