VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a stack of various Microsoft floppies. Considering the fact that Microsoft would have had to use high quality disks, on account of their DMF formatting, I suspect that they would work great if repurposed for general use. Microsoft was even kind enough to keep the write protect switch intact.

It makes me cringe to think about formatting these, as they are in good condition. They don't carry much value on the second hand market, and if I were to install Office, I would use some other method besides floppy disks. So I don't imagine that I would ever use them again for their intended purpose.

What would some of you do in this situation?

20221030_052120_resize_84.jpg
Filename
20221030_052120_resize_84.jpg
File size
156.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-10-30, 12:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you image them with KryoFlux, you can later restore them to the original condition...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 8, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't think of a scenario where I'd consider overwriting original media. The factors that prevent me from installing Office from floppy disk also remove any need I may have for a number of high quality disks.

Floppy disks are pretty much my file transfer medium of last resort at this point. If the computer is on the LAN, I'll use the LAN to get stuff on/off it. If it isn't on the LAN (or it has a blank hard disk), I'll put it on the LAN and I only need one floppy disk to do that whether its got an OS or not. And if for some reason I have a need to run a PC with no hard disk at all then I'd probably pull out the floppy drive too and just boot the machine from the LAN.

So for pretty much any floppy disk use case I have, a bunch of cheap disks of questionable quality are good enough. Plus while original disks may not be particularly valuable today, that could change in the future. Microsoft isn't making any more of them after all.

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Winimage can read and write DMF floppies/images and can format a HD floppy in DMF format. I also have a bunch of original MS floppies that I will not use since there is about 100+ NOS good blank disks in boxes laying around the room ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second what @davidrg said - no PC should be without LAN!

Back in the era, there were two obvious differences between real computers and toys: HDD and LAN.
The former had both, or it was easily added.
And with both HDD and LAN, the need for floppies is minimal.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 8, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use floppies a lot, that's part of the fun for me, I always install MSDOS and Win 3.1 from floppies. I have a dedicated floppy drive to boot a memtest disk for the first test of a repaired motherboard or CPU.
Other people enjoy a CRT because it's part of the experience, I just have them out of curiosity.

Reply 7 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never overwrite a oem original disk 😀

Get goteks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 8, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Second'ing the others who don't re-format original media. I keep all my original disks just as they were too. Just for myself personally, the thought of re-using them for a different purpose has never even entered into my head since it's still possible to get sealed-new-old-stock disks that are of good quality.

Also I'll add that I do still actively use floppies for my own uses with my retro PC's (transferring files, etc). It's all part of the experience. Using stuff like Gotek's or whatever else just removes part of the fun for me personally. I don't even own such an adapter. Though I also ensure all my retro PCs have LAN access too for transferring things between modern and retro machines.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT