VOGONS

First post, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone!

Last weekend, I extensively searched and ultimately find my late father's IBM PC-XT's MFM Hard-disk.

PCB looks ok, but metal body of the HDD has some white residue, like wall paint or white cement, not sure.

Pls suggest how to clean it and then test it?
Can I just power it?

P.S. Can't yet find the ribbon cables.

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 1 of 5, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Few more pics -

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 2 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! That 'residue' on the outer case looks a lot like aluminium corrosion. You can scrape it off and finish with steel wool but I'd be concerned the corrosion continues on the inside. If that's the case that's very bad news because flakes might fall off on the inside.
Best way to test it without cables is to just connect power and see wether it spins up and performs the initial seek. Beyond that you'll need the cables.

Reply 3 of 5, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-11-02, 16:20:

....flakes might fall off on the inside.

I shaked the HDD and no moving sound coming from the inside....
Should I open the inner section?

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-02, 16:35:

Should I open the inner section?

Only if you can do it in a dust-free chamber.

Also, keep in mind that it's a stepper drive - and such drives in general don't park their heads automatically at power-off.
So, if you get it to work, first thing to do would be transfer some head parking software onto it - eg. SpeedStor 6.03 should be OK - and park the heads every time before powering off.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 5, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2022-11-02, 16:50:

Also, keep in mind that it's a stepper drive - and such drives in general don't park their heads automatically at power-off.
So, if you get it to work, first thing to do would be transfer some head parking software onto it - eg. SpeedStor 6.03 should be OK - and park the heads every time before powering off.

Yes, I do remember (when I was kid).... I need to run a 'park' command to shut-down the PC.