VOGONS

First post, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally have one of these GPUs, it was always on my "would like" list but they have always been stupidly expensive on the bay, well I bought a AGP GPU lot recently and the seller said they were throwing in a few extra cards they found and they sent me some photos. Turns out one of the extra cards is a Fury MAXX and if the photos are any indication the card has seen almost no use ..even zooming in on the pic I can see no dust on or in the fans and the card looks pristine. Yeah I know the card could still be dead but one can hope right.

So anyone here have one of these lovely cards?
I'm looking for advice on best driver versions to use for it as I understand that different versions have their own set of issues in regards to compatibility.

Going to put the MAXX into a Athlon 750 Slot A rig, unique GPU needs an equally unique rig right and I dont see many Slot A rigs out there.

Reply 2 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2022-11-05, 14:12:

Here is my Rage Fury MAXX, running on a Asus TUSL2-C with a Tualatin 1400. A overkill CPU for this card, but this is my testrig for 1997-2004 AGP graphics cards.

Yeah I thought about throwing it on a Tully board and it would be a great little rig but the Voodoo 5 5500 is currently sitting in that board and heh it would be fun to have both early dual GPU cards in machines. Not sure what others think but I just love the look of the MAXX, its a compact clean look compared to the Voodoo 5 behemoth.

I will for sure check out your video, would be nice if there was XP drivers for this card, I know there are 2K drivers but see reports that OpenGL and D3D dont work well with them and there is something about having to disable one of the cores.

Reply 3 of 9, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one for a few months. I mostly collect ATI cards, so I had to have one 🙂.

I tested two drivers, the CD iso from vogonsdrivers and the installer from AMD website. I think i stayed with the one from ATI.

But the hardest part is finding a suitable motherboard. The card is known for its pickiness.
Iirc, i could install it successfully on 440Bx, Via Apollo Pro 133 and SiS735.

So I'm generally using my MAXX with a K7S5A Pro (V5.0) on SiS735 chipset with an Athlon 1000.

A lot of Via chipsets don't work. And I had no luck with i850 chipset (P4 Willamette+ rambus).

Cleaning the card is really straightforward since the coolers are glued to the chips. There are several board revisions, with/without removable bios. With/without "single chip mode" jumper. Some are made in Canada, some made in China.
Mine is from 2000, made in China, removable bios, no jumper (if I remember correctly, I'm not at home)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 4 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2022-11-05, 15:19:
I have one for a few months. I mostly collect ATI cards, so I had to have one 🙂. […]
Show full quote

I have one for a few months. I mostly collect ATI cards, so I had to have one 🙂.

I tested two drivers, the CD iso from vogonsdrivers and the installer from AMD website. I think i stayed with the one from ATI.

But the hardest part is finding a suitable motherboard. The card is known for its pickiness.
Iirc, i could install it successfully on 440Bx, Via Apollo Pro 133 and SiS735.

So I'm generally using my MAXX with a K7S5A Pro (V5.0) on SiS735 chipset with an Athlon 1000.

A lot of Via chipsets don't work. And I had no luck with i850 chipset (P4 Willamette+ rambus).

Cleaning the card is really straightforward since the coolers are glued to the chips. There are several board revisions, with/without removable bios. With/without "single chip mode" jumper. Some are made in Canada, some made in China.
Mine is from 2000, made in China, removable bios, no jumper (if I remember correctly, I'm not at home)

Mines from Canukistan made in 2000, got two sets of jumpers and a removable bios. Which set of Jumpers turns off the cores .. or do you use each set to disable a certain core ?

The Slot A board I would like to throw it into is a Biostar M7MKE which is a Via KX133/686A chipset. I have a Asus P2B-D 1.06 I could use it on if the Slot A board doesn't work.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-11-05, 15:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-05, 14:27:

would be nice if there was XP drivers for this card

I don't know about XP drivers, but I have an ATI Rage 128 and Windows 2003 comes with the drivers for it, so I suspect XP will. Below shows the driver versions and the chipset is an ALi M1541.

file.php?id=149459

Once it's installed, I would be interested to know if SIV reports the correct information, especially the # ROPs and clock speeds.

Attachments

• RAS.png
    Filename
    RAS.png
    File size
    116.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATI Rage 128 using stock Windows 2003 driver
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2022-11-05, 15:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2022-11-05, 15:29:
I don't know about XP drivers, but I have an ATI Rage 128 and Windows 2003 comes with the drivers for it, so I suspect XP will. […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-05, 14:27:

would be nice if there was XP drivers for this card

I don't know about XP drivers, but I have an ATI Rage 128 and Windows 2003 comes with the drivers for it, so I suspect XP will. Below shows the driver versions and the chipset is an ALi M1541.

file.php?id=149459

Once it's installed, I would be interested to know is SIV reports the correct information, especially the # ROPs and clock speeds.

Yeah done a lot of reading the last couple of hours and if I disable one of the cores itll work just fine under NT based operating systems, NT apparently handles the AGP bus differently from Win98 and the dual GPU cores are handled as two separate GPUs, so the AFR rendering the MAXX uses for SLI wont work. There is no work around for this so if I want to use both GPU cores itll have to be ran under Win98SE, the issue with NT is hardware based and if the MAXX had a bridge chip it would have had no issues under XP/2K.

Reply 7 of 9, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my Tualatin 1400 benchmark system with i815 chipset I had to disable AGP4x support in the BIOS to make the card shell out some pixels 😀. I used the Rage 128 / Rage 128 Pro 4.13.7192 (Win98) drivers. Can’t recall having major issues although I haven’t used the card for an extensive period.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 8 of 9, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-05, 15:26:

got two sets of jumpers and a removable bios. Which set of Jumpers turns off the cores .. or do you use each set to disable a certain core ?

Hmm interesting.
I don't know the purpose of having two jumpers.
You can also disable AFR from the driver options.

The Slot A board I would like to throw it into is a Biostar M7MKE which is a Via KX133/686A chipset. I have a Asus P2B-D 1.06 I could use it on if the Slot A board doesn't work.

Luckily, you should be fine with your slot A motherboard. Quote from Anandtech :

While the MAXX performed much more competitively than the Rage 128 at its release, and while the MAXX did come out in a reasonable time frame, the solution was plagued by the usual ATI driver problems and a number of other issues such as not being able to work properly on VIA Apollo Pro 133A/KX133 motherboards until a recent beta driver was made publicly available.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/536

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 9 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2022-11-05, 18:17:
Hmm interesting. I don't know the purpose of having two jumpers. You can also disable AFR from the driver options. […]
Show full quote

got two sets of jumpers and a removable bios. Which set of Jumpers turns off the cores .. or do you use each set to disable a certain core ?

Hmm interesting.
I don't know the purpose of having two jumpers.
You can also disable AFR from the driver options.

Luckily, you should be fine with your slot A motherboard. Quote from Anandtech :

While the MAXX performed much more competitively than the Rage 128 at its release, and while the MAXX did come out in a reasonable time frame, the solution was plagued by the usual ATI driver problems and a number of other issues such as not being able to work properly on VIA Apollo Pro 133A/KX133 motherboards until a recent beta driver was made publicly available.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/536

I think the jumpers physically disables that core, essentially turning it into a Rage Fury 128 Pro, seems it’s the only way to get acceleration under 2K/Xp.