VOGONS

Reply 20 of 64, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the main trick would be to figure out if the original bios with the scsi bios sets some pin to en/disable the scsi chip after which the scsi controller becomes available to the system and the scsi bios has actually any use.
So, figure out what en/disables the scsi device and incorporate the scsi bios .

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 21 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried different method. The SCSI OpROM was extracted, modified and inserted back into the original BIOS image.
So when the modded SCSI ROM runs its code modifies 52h register setting bit#2 into "1".

P.S. Thanks pinczakko for his book and IDA scripts

Attachments

• scsi_oprom_mod.png
    Filename
    scsi_oprom_mod.png
    File size
    272.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    the explanation of modding
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Filename
    air430hx4.zip
    File size
    113.63 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File comment
    (AIR) 54TPI (REV. 4.0) modded SCSI ROM (may not work)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 22 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot! I just tried this one and there seems to be no difference to the original BIOS. Something in the BIOS code seems to override all changes done by other parts of the code.

Meanwhile I tried several AWARD HX-BIOSes without SCSI BIOS that support the SMC Super I/O 669QF-P. It´s a pity most top HX boards have Winbond or UMC Super-IOs, only a few use the SMC chip.

There´s one for the DFI G586IPC that hangs at startup.
The one for ABIT AB-PN5 fails initializing the Floppy interface
The first release for ECS P5HXA won´t work 100%, later versions hang at start
The first release for the ECS P5HX-LA works, but it´s from 96 and crammed with ATI graphics BIOS and other stuff- later versions fail to initialize 512K Cache + 11bit TAG completely, they all hang at "BE-07".

Finally I tried ASUS P\I-XP55T2P4. It´s from 1998 and enables 512MB cacheable area automatically without the need to set the switch in BIOS setup. I could not find any issues so far!
I`ll try a Windows install next and see if the onboard scsi chip is detected. In the BIOS summary it is, but there´s "N/A" under IRQ.
The onboard SCSI chips I know are tied to a specific PCI slot IRQ / INT wise - I think BIOS must accomodate that in some way.

Last edited by majestyk on 2022-11-13, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 64, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally a success?!? Fingers crossed!

Might have to remap the irq/pci lines or whatever. 🤔 might be looking for it on the wrong slot.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 64, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-13, 15:29:
Thanks a lot! I just tried this one and there seems to be no difference to the original BIOS. Something in the BIOS code seems t […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot! I just tried this one and there seems to be no difference to the original BIOS. Something in the BIOS code seems to override all changes done by other parts of the code.

Meanwhile I tried several AWARD HX-BIOSes without SCSI BIOS that support the SMC Super I/O 669QF-P. It´s a pity most top HX boards have Winbond or UMC Super-IOs, only a few use the SMC chip.

There´s one for the DFI G586IPC that hangs at startup.
The one for ABIT AB-PN5 fails initializing the Floppy interface
The first release for ECS P5HXA won´t work 100%, later versions hang at start
The first release for the ECS P5HX-LA works, but it´s from 96 and crammed with ATI graphics BIOS and other stuff- later versions fail to initialize 512K Cache + 11bit TAG completely, they all hang at "BE-07".

Finally I tried ASUS P\I-XP55T2P4. It´s from 1998 and enables 512MB cacheable area automatically without the need to set the switch in BIOS setup. I could not find any issues so far!
I`ll try a Windows install next and see if the onboard scsi chip is detected. In the BIOS summary it is, but there´s "N/A" under IRQ.
The onboard SCSI chips I know are tied to a specific PCI slot IRQ / INT wise - I think BIOS must accomodate that in some way.

On-Board AIC-7880 on device 8h. I will see if there is any intended way to **add** an IRQ entry to AwardBIOS. If not, it might require deeper hacking of the BIOS (chkcpu can help) to add the IRQ entry.

quick edit: asus seems to have obfuscated IRQ routing table. Modbin nor the buggy AWDBEDIT cannot even view it let alone edit. Hopefully we can find a non ASUS AwardBIOS that enables the cacheable area. Maybe you can help out with that because you need to test the AwardBIOSes on your motherboard to see if they work the same as the ASUS. Follows a list of all 430HX AwardBIOSes. https://theretroweb.com/bios/?biosManufacture … 5&chipsetId=276 A lot to try for sure... I'm sure some BIOS will work exactly as good as the ASUS but that we can edit it easier. Maybe try TMC AI5TH or AOpen AP5k.

Reply 25 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both Gigabyte GA-586DX and ASUS P/I-P55T2P4S do have the AIC7880 and they have AWARD BIOSes so it must be possible in some way.
In the ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 BIOS theres a switch gor setting SCSI to "disable" or "Auto".

The routing table of the AMI BIOS can be seen / changed with AMIBCP. But that´s not helping as long as it cannot be forced to set 512MB cacheable area.

Reply 26 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BurnedPinguin wrote on 2022-11-13, 18:54:

Maybe try TMC AI5TH or AOpen AP5k.

Or Tekram P5H30-WS (BIOS at 1999, Adaptec SCSI)

Fully “Plug & Play” compatible via an Award BIOS, the P5H30-NS/WS facilitates easy
system configuration and peripheral setup. With support for up to 512MB of System RAM,
EDO and ECC, the P5H30-NS/WS is the ideal foundation for high-end computer systems.

Reply 27 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Tekram sadly has a different super I/O, it also outputs "Host Adapter Config Error" when the SCSI BIOS appears.
The AI5TH won´t recognize L2 cache at all and hangs at the summary screen.
and finally the Aopen AP5K BIOS fails to address the Floppy drive and Serial/LPT ports just like it was for a different super I/O.

Last edited by majestyk on 2022-11-13, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-13, 20:04:

The Tekram sadly has a different super I/O, it also outputs "Host Adapter Config Error" when the SCSI BIOS appears.
The AI5TH won´t recognize L2 cache at all and hangs at the summary screen.

It's a pity 🙁
I saw photos of ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 (AT model) - different revisions have different SIOs but a BIOS is the same I think.
IMO the BIOS has code that supports both SMC and Winbond

Last edited by Roman555 on 2022-11-13, 20:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman555 wrote on 2022-11-13, 20:13:

I saw photos of ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 (AT model) - different revisions have different SIOs but a BIOS the same I think.

Wow! You are right!
I had just flipped through the pics of my own T2P4s and they all have WInbonds.
I´ll check if the IRQ/PCI table is editable.... -> it seems to be the same situation as with the X55... BIOS. Probably it´s the same BIOS.
But the IRQs for PCI-Slot 1,2,3,4 can be set in the BIOS setup manually (default is "Auto"). You can also set "SYMBIOS SCSI BIOS" to "Auto" or "disabled", but that´s for the ASUS SC-200 PCI SCSI card only.

summary_screen.JPG
Filename
summary_screen.JPG
File size
116.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here´s the routing table of the original AMI BIOS:

ami_irq_routing.JPG
Filename
ami_irq_routing.JPG
File size
212.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 30 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-13, 20:22:
Wow! You are right! I had just flipped through the pics of my own T2P4s and they all have WInbonds. I´ll check if the IRQ/PCI t […]
Show full quote
Roman555 wrote on 2022-11-13, 20:13:

I saw photos of ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 (AT model) - different revisions have different SIOs but a BIOS the same I think.

Wow! You are right!
I had just flipped through the pics of my own T2P4s and they all have WInbonds.
I´ll check if the IRQ/PCI table is editable.... -> it seems to be the same situation as with the X55... BIOS. Probably it´s the same BIOS.
But the IRQs for PCI-Slot 1,2,3,4 can be set in the BIOS setup manually (default is "Auto"). You can also set "SYMBIOS SCSI BIOS" to "Auto" or "disabled", but that´s for the ASUS SC-200 PCI SCSI card only.
summary_screen.JPG
Here´s the routing table of the original AMI BIOS:
ami_irq_routing.JPG

Ok. majestyk, I'll pick ASUS P55T2P4SC bios , change IRQ table and attach a modding bios later.

Here it is.

Attachments

• irq_tbl_pict.png
    Filename
    irq_tbl_pict.png
    File size
    18.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ASUS P55T2P4S IrqRouteTbl
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Roman555 on 2022-11-17, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks 1st of all!
Which ASUS BIOS version did you use?
The modded one complains "floppy disk fail" and hitting F1 reboots the machine.
Maybe the version you used doesn´t support the SMC chip?
I used this one:

Filename
t25i0207.zip
File size
100.62 KiB
Downloads
24 downloads
File license
Public domain

In the meantime I upgraded my FIC PT-2200, a HX board with AMI BIOS, with a second TAG chip:

pt2200_2_tag.JPG
Filename
pt2200_2_tag.JPG
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There was one 128K chip present, these are hard to find, so I soldered 2 x 256K.
Then I activated the hidden BIOS menue entries with AMIBCP, activated 512MB enlarged cacheable area and - Bob´s your uncle.
The resistor that needs to be moved to switch from pulling TIO10 high to low is located between the chips.

So the PT-2200 is the first HX board I came acrooss to run fully featured HX L2 cache with AMI BIOS! (there´s also an AWARD BIOS available for this board that works also).
This is the latest BIOS version with all the switches enabled:

Filename
TII107_512.rar
File size
119.32 KiB
Downloads
26 downloads
File license
Public domain

Then I tried this AMI BIOS in the 54TPI and the enlarged cacheable area is activated without any problems.
BUT, there´s no SCSI and, even worse, the FIC has a rare National "PC87336VLJ" Super I/O so I have to use an ISA I/O card.

Reply 32 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-14, 14:54:
Thanks 1st of all! Which ASUS BIOS version did you use? The modded one complains "floppy disk fail" and hitting F1 reboots the m […]
Show full quote

Thanks 1st of all!
Which ASUS BIOS version did you use?
The modded one complains "floppy disk fail" and hitting F1 reboots the machine.
Maybe the version you used doesn´t support the SMC chip?

Congrats about FIC HX!
I used version of ASUS 430HX with SCSI on-board P55T2P4S as a basis. Yes, this board has got Winbond SIO.
In your ASUS version there's no place for Adaptec in an IrqTable. It can be done only if to remove data about some PCI slot

Reply 33 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AAh - the T2P4S was one of the first I tried and it crashed during startup.

The FIC AMI BIOS assigns IRQ 10 for the SCSI controller and detects it at Slot1:

fic_on_54tpi.JPG
Filename
fic_on_54tpi.JPG
File size
121.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 34 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-14, 14:54:
... I used this one: […]
Show full quote

I used this one:

t25i0207.zip

I thought the ASUS BIOSes are identical about supporting both model of SIO. It appears not.
There is no space in IrqRouteTbl of this BIOS for the SCSI. So PCI slot #4 IRQ Route was removed.
Good luck!

Attachments

• Filename
    air54tpi_mod1.zip
    File size
    113.26 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File comment
    AIR 54TPI modded BIOS (SCSI not work)
    File license
Last edited by Roman555 on 2022-11-17, 16:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your help - again!
The modded ASUS BIOS still leaves onboard SCSI without IRQ. Since ASUS BIOSes are often "very special" I tried loads of alternative AWARD BIOSes in the meantime and I found one for the "NexCom Peak530" from the year 2000 that seems to be quite straightforward and uncrippled. Nearly all settings are visible by default and it has a PCI routing table with 8 lines.

Here´s the BIOS:

Filename
p530.zip
File size
101.55 KiB
Downloads
23 downloads
File license
Public domain

Modbin / AWDbedit output:

pcitable2.JPG
Filename
pcitable2.JPG
File size
46.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
pcitable3.JPG
Filename
pcitable3.JPG
File size
45.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And this is what it detects on the 54TPI:

p530_bios_summ.JPG
Filename
p530_bios_summ.JPG
File size
195.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now how do we get the Adaptec onboard SCSI device (Slot??) into this table so it gets included?

Reply 36 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for trying the mods and not giving up 😀
I've never thought those utilities really can change irq routing. But anyway it's worth to try.
The device number of the SCSI is #8 as you see on your photos. Change 10 to 8 and that's all I think.
Also it corresponds 0x40 (hex) in IrqRouteTbl (that is on the changelogs)
(shift 8 to left 3 times)
If you don't mind I'll make another variant of IrqRouteTbl in the ASUS BIOS.
Because the last time I got all IrqRouteTbl data from the original 54TPI bios and inserted it into the bios-mod.
Now I just would like to change only the device number in original ASUS IrqRouteTbl.
Or please write your ideas how IrqRouteTbl should looks.

P.S. Did you replace a VGA ? I see the VGA the same. But it did't get any IRQ from the bios too. But it should get IRQ because there's dev num #11 in the table.
P.P.S. If after changes of dev number the SCSI gets any IRQ then you can adjust the IRQ number rotating numbers 1-4 in the row.

Reply 37 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, the ASUS BIOS assigns an IRQ for VGA, the NexCom doesn´t. The NexCom is a single board computer so maybe VGA is treated differently? It doesn´t seem to have onboard VGA.

Roman555 wrote on 2022-11-17, 16:02:

If you don't mind I'll make another variant of IrqRouteTbl in the ASUS BIOS.

How could I!
Any help /try is very welcome.

Reply 38 of 64, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-17, 17:43:

Yep, the ASUS BIOS assigns an IRQ for VGA, the NexCom doesn´t. The NexCom is a single board computer so maybe VGA is treated differently? It doesn´t seem to have onboard VGA.

IMO, a VGA is usual PCI device from IRQ point of view. Though some VGA adapters (or VGA chips) don't need IRQ at all

majestyk wrote on 2022-11-17, 17:43:

How could I!
Any help /try is very welcome.

Ok, I'll make the mentioned modded ASUS bios

P.S. One more try

Attachments

• Filename
    air54tpi_mod3.zip
    File size
    113.3 KiB
    Downloads
    24 downloads
    File comment
    AIR 54TPI modded BIOS (may not work)
    File license

Reply 39 of 64, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kudos to you for the effort!
Onboard SCSI still doesn´t get an IRQ, VGA does. I suspect that ASUS salted this BIOS with their own "magic" that also prevents many BIOS tools from working successfully.

SCSI and cacheable area are my main focus here, I could live with an extra ISA I/O card. I entered the first 5 lines from the original BIOS into the FIC routing table and PCI cards are identified in the right slot 1-4 now.
But onboard SCSI is ignored at the moment, because I couldn´t find a way to add additional lines for the missing two entries that take care of "slot 0" which probably is onboard SCSI.
The last line consists of zeroes only, can this one be omitted?

I also found some more AWARD files like for the Iwill P55TU that also has the 8770 SCSI chip. For whatecer reasons this and several more AWARD BIOSes that explicitly support the SMC 669 SIO don´t manage to make it work on the 54TPI.