VOGONS

First post, by aegisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up a NMC 8TTX+ motherboard (German version of the Epox 8KTA3+) and a Athlon XP-M 2600+ (AXMG2600FQQ4C, 45W), but am still trying to source a good CPU cooler for the system that will:

1. fit the awkward placing of the capacitors around the CPU socket;
  2. isn't painfully loud;
  3. still can be picked up without breaking the bank;
  4. is available in Europe.

CPU specs: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile% … G2600FQQ4C.html

I found a few that don't seem to be very HQ:

I really hope somebody here can share a better alternative!

Reply 1 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I do with my 462 builds is use any good socket370/SocketA heatsink with a 3D-printed adapter that allows the installation of an 80mm fan. With 70mm, which is most common, they are not reliable and there are no good modern 70mm fans. But with 80mm, you have plenty to choose from.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 2 of 6, by aegisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have an example of a heatsink that I might be able to source more or less easily here in Europe, or might the StarTech one I linked to suffice? I don't like how that one only uses 1 of the 3 clips on each side, as it seems it might damage the socket over time, or is that not a thing?

Edit: I am thinking of placing a bid for a GlacialTech Igloo 2320 or an GlacialTech Igloo 2410. From what I was able to find out online these seem to be decent options that are compatible with most motherboards.

Reply 3 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aegisk wrote on 2022-11-10, 22:20:

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have an example of a heatsink that I might be able to source more or less easily here in Europe, or might the StarTech one I linked to suffice? I don't like how that one only uses 1 of the 3 clips on each side, as it seems it might damage the socket over time, or is that not a thing?

Edit: I am thinking of placing a bid for a GlacialTech Igloo 2320 or an GlacialTech Igloo 2410. From what I was able to find out online these seem to be decent options that are compatible with most motherboards.

No, sorry. I don't see anything being mass produced from China anymore for Socket370/SocketA (checked Aliexpress). Use your best judgement, but needless to say, the bigger and the more copper in it, the better.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: What to do about a Socket 462/A motherboard with a broken socket?

DIY mounting solution and use whatever modern cheap cooler you like

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction