VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asus P3B-F that I got for wider compatibility with games, but I have found something odd with it when I either power it on or reset it.

It tends to hang before POSTing, without doing anything, just a blank screen. (But the screen and backlight are on.) Sometimes a reset will fix it, but I'm not sure if this is a sign of the health of the motherboard.

Is there anything I can do to fix it, if needed?

Reply 1 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to diagnose the problem first. POST card would help to show where its hanging up.
Meanwhile reseating everything (cards, ram, cables, bios chip) is not a bad idea. Also measure power supply voltages, optimally with a scope to see the ripple.
Whats your graphic card? FSB?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 6, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to take an opportunity, since I had to replace the CMOS battery anyways.

I tried the POST card. Doesn't show anything on the LED display, for some reason.

I've already reseated the BIOS chip multiple times (to reflash it, not because of problems, just to find the best BIOS)

Same with the RAM, to make sure it works.

The cables are just fine.

The power supply, I don't see an immediate problem with. ( I wish I had a scope...)

I use two graphics cards: An ATI Radeon 7000, and an ATI Rage Pro PCI (Xpert@Play98)

FSB is 133 MHz, to accomodate for the 1Ghz CPU I have. (7.5x133MHz)

Reply 3 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-14, 20:02:

I tried the POST card. Doesn't show anything on the LED display, for some reason.

plugged wrong way? 😀

T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-14, 20:02:

FSB is 133 MHz

yep, that would do it. Everything needs to be tip top at optimal levels to run outside official specs. I would guess something marginal during startup leading to random problems initializing graphic card.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I add that if a dual POST card (ISA and PCI) you usually must use the PCI part on a PCI motherboard as most PCI boards do not send the codes to their ISA slots (yes some do but many do not).....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun