VOGONS

First post, by Sequencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm attempting to build a machine for DOS/3.1/98/XP/Linux, and I've about had it with PATA drives from the Stone Age. They're all pretty much either already dead or will die within the first four weeks of current day use. Gotek emulators have become a very popular solution for floppy drives, so surely by now there is some kind of similar way to fool a legacy system into thinking flash memory is a PATA drive.

Since you're all the experts on how this should be done in 2022, I thought I'd see what's recommended now. I'd prefer to get two 8GB devices that my BIOS can understand for DOS/3.1/98, and a larger device in the hundreds of gigabytes (if such a thing exists) that I could use for newer OS's like XP and Linux that don't depend on BIOS geometry so much. (My BIOS has the 8GB limit, but supports some sort of extended LBA in some cases.)

Reply 2 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case almost all HDD are dead, i finally replace all my retro PCs with CF cards

I use 2x512mb CF card for the 286, 2x8GB for 486 and in the Pentium 3 a 128GB SSD did the trick

I use EZ-Drive in the 286/486 machines

Reply 3 of 4, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have all of these adapters:
1. Compact Flash to IDE (several different types)
2. SATA to IDE (several different types)

and I'm aware of
3. SD Card to IDE

You should be able to find all of these on eBay for reasonable prices.