VOGONS

First post, by marinelayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just acquired a Sony Trinitron Multisync 200ES. It is in fantastic cosmetic shape, but when I brought it home and plugged it in, the issues started. Here's the behavior:

1. I can turn it on and it shows a great picture (very bright)
  2. It stays on for 5 to 10 seconds and then turns itself off and the light by the power button begins to slowly flash orange (no blink code, just a constant slow flash)
  3. I've ruled out a resolution/refresh rate problem as it happens in DOS, the BIOS, Windows Safe Mode, etc.
  4. When it IS on, the brightness controls only make a TINY difference when all the way up, vs all the way down
  5. Contrast seems to make no difference
  6. Changing geometry works as expected
  7. Changing vertical size works as expected
  8. Changing horizontal size HAS NO EFFECT
  9. Changing horizontal position works as expected

If anyone has any tips, please let me know. I have limited experience working on monitors/high-voltage kit, but I'm willing to try. I know my way around a PCB, diagnosing logic issues, checking voltage, know my way around a soldering iron, etc.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tripping on HV abnormal voltage or cathode current not within specs. Sony Trinitron CRT are famous for these having worn cathodes due to overzealous automatic kine adjustment (cannot adjusted or disabled), causing bright raster.

First thing check solder joints and check the ESR capacitors on motherboard boards and CRT board. Need ESR meter for this.

I know this is tedious.

For very reason, I never had Trinitron CRT at all due to this, came from my experience at TV shop repair and this also confirmed when we had Sony TV at home failed after 3 years same way.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by marinelayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-14, 01:00:

First thing check solder joints and check the ESR capacitors on motherboard boards and CRT board. Need ESR meter for this.

I'll open 'er up and take a look at the solder joints. For my sake I hope it's that as I just looked at the price of some ESR meters 😀 I'll just convince myself it's an investment... Thanks for the direction!