VOGONS

First post, by joemorgan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I'm new in town.

I usually read without interacting but a question has arisen. This is the moment... . 😀

A few years ago I formatted an IBM 5162 hard drive using a BIOS routine call from the computer's ROM BASIC.

I saw it done in a YT video but they have deleted it.

I found it easier than using debug.exe or any other software.

Does anyone know how and what the routine was executed from the IBM BIOS BASIC (Cassette BASIC)? Honestly, I have forgotten.

Thanks for all beforehand.

Reply 1 of 5, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never tried anything mentioned in this topic, but if I read the manual correctly, if you want to run an option rom at D800 from address 5:

10 def seg=&hd800
20 def usr0=5
30 print usr0(0) < any number as argument
run

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ryccardo wrote on 2022-11-16, 21:39:
Never tried anything mentioned in this topic, but if I read the manual correctly, if you want to run an option rom at D800 from […]
Show full quote

Never tried anything mentioned in this topic, but if I read the manual correctly, if you want to run an option rom at D800 from address 5:

10 def seg=&hd800
20 def usr0=5
run

Good luck!

the default location for XT disk ROMs was C800

Reply 3 of 5, by joemorgan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Never tried anything mentioned in this topic, but if I read the manual correctly, if you want to run an option rom at D800 from […]
Show full quote

10 def seg=&hd800
20 def usr0=5
run

Good luck!

Thank you pal !

Reply 4 of 5, by joemorgan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-11-16, 21:44:
Show full quote

10 def seg=&hd800
20 def usr0=5
run

Good luck!

the default location for XT disk ROMs was C800

Indeed, I think it is C800

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day used Debug to enter the Controller BIOS, like G=C800:5....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun