VOGONS

Asus CPU Card (Slocket) Differences

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking forward to the result. Hope it works.
Dual slot1/slot2 is very interesting topic to me.
Used to have bunch of boards like that but ended up keeping only 2-3 around.
Still have bunch of slotkets. Surprisingly some of them work in dual cpu configuration without being advertized as such.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 21 of 29, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went with the S370-L as the lower profile card worked better with the posts on the motherboard (ended up being more secure). Couldn't get my Celeron 1100 to post with either slocket so I went with a Celeron 900 instead. That should be good enough for playing around with Windows ME (I never felt I gave that O/S a fair shake as I jumped from 98SE to Win2000).

Reply 24 of 29, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just received my new ASUS P2B-D board and tested my S370-133's on it. Unfortunately it won't post with Coppermine and modded Tualatin CPU's in dual mode. They are perfectly working in single CPU mode on each slots but system won't post with both slots populated. It does the same with MSI-MS-6905 v2.3. Of course the motherboard is fully working with two actual slot1 CPU's.

They made the S370-DL for a reason!

Reply 25 of 29, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is possible to mod MSI and S370-133 to dual. BTDT as are several other guys in this forum also.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 28 of 29, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
a_h_adl wrote on 2022-12-14, 12:17:

Just received my new ASUS P2B-D board and tested my S370-133's on it. Unfortunately it won't post with Coppermine and modded Tualatin CPU's in dual mode. They are perfectly working in single CPU mode on each slots but system won't post with both slots populated. It does the same with MSI-MS-6905 v2.3. Of course the motherboard is fully working with two actual slot1 CPU's.

They made the S370-DL for a reason!

Last count I have 19 slotkets and a few of them in pairs with a jumper that says "dual" but so far the only ones I got to work in dual config are my S370-DLs. I have also did limited tests of mixing slotkets and all those were failed tests.

_tk wrote on 2022-11-17, 08:18:
I own a NOS s370-L and a s370-133. Unfortunately, no paperwork with them...only the boxes (maybe they never came with paperwo […]
Show full quote

I own a NOS s370-L and a s370-133. Unfortunately, no paperwork with them...only the boxes (maybe they never came with paperwork?).

Anyhow, the only differences that I can see is that the 133 has an extra a jumper for "cu-mine" or "celeron" and has the additional plastic surround on it. It also lists on the pcb a much greater range of voltage adjustments (although both have the same amount of voltage jumpers, 5).

Unfortunately, no DL to compare them with.

Both of the boxes are identical, besides a sticker of what's inside them. What confuses me is that the 133 says it supports 133fsb...but that's already stated in the fourth bullet point on the box (pic attached).

Physically, the 133 has three capacitors on that the L does not.

About 8 months ago I picked up a S370-DL nos for around $20 USD (very lucky) and it had the same box as you pictured just with the sticker listing S370-DL CPU CARD and mine had the Installation guide in it. I dont have any S370-L or S370-133 to compare it with just another pair of S370-DLs.

jU4RFrDl.jpg

It has taken years to get 3 of these cards as I was unwilling to pay more that $25 USD for them, I have been trying for years to get more than 1 MSI MS-6905 but have not gotten lucky on that front.

Reply 29 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cleared most of the slotkets.
Don't think i have more than 7 as of today.
3x S370-DL, 1x MSI MS-6905, 1x Soyo something-something, 2x some other selected stuff that i forgot brands/models.
Most of them work in dual-cpu configurations on different motherboards, but also - they are not all universally compatible.
Some of them refuse to do dual-cpu on specific boards for some reason. It is rare, but a thing.

retro bits and bytes