VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering if it would be possible to use an old laptop with ZV as an external monitor.
I am aware the resolution is kinda low but it would be a perfect use case for me if possible.

So far the only options I saw were pcmcia cards that capture TV/composite signals but those seems kinda low res (not sure if there's a vga capture card for pcmcia).

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need explicit support for it, as it requires the CardBus controller to connect directly to feature connector of the video chipset to function (it does not transfer data over PCI as normal CardBus stuff, or ISA like PCMCIA). It sort of is internal feature connector connectivity, with I2S digital audio, bypassing all of the normal datapaths. I'm not sure what resolution limit will there be but I excpect it remain near DVD resolution or at worst Video CD. Hence the name "Zoomed video", aka little zoomed out window on your screen but what hardware is there that can accomodate it I don't really know of. I have doubts you'll find anything that has a VGA etc. input that digitizes stuff for sending to screen via the interface, it was really meant for DVD and VideoCD playback. Capture cards you have found are just normal PCI chipsets, not using the ZV feature at all (but they'll still get you the same overall resolution which is 720 x 480/576 range).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is atleast one capture card that support ZV, the Margi Capture-to-Go, it also has svideo input.
Most capture cards don't support ZV, and only had composite video input, like Nogatech, Iodata, Ratoc, IBM.

What are the specs of the laptop?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 4, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-11-17, 13:00:

There is atleast one capture card that support ZV, the Margi Capture-to-Go, it also has svideo input.
Most capture cards don't support ZV, and only had composite video input, like Nogatech, Iodata, Ratoc, IBM.

What are the specs of the laptop?

IBM Thinkpad 235
Pentium MMX233, 96MB Ram, C&T F655555 video and 3 pcmcia slots