VOGONS

First post, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I went to boot my Windows 98se machine and I got an error saying "invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3, service B." It advised to run the Windows Setup program to correct the problem and after rebooting a few times to try to get the program running it showed a new error saying "invalid system disk. Replace and strike key when ready." After I pressed any key a few times it launched into safe mode and then I restarted it normal mode and it's ok now.

Are these symptoms of a dying hard drive? These hard drives came with the computer when WIndows 95 came out so I'm actually impressed they still work at all. If I buy a new hard drive (assuming they still make them for motherboards this old) can I transfer all my data to it without needing to reinstall everything? I have a very stable build which I want to preserve if I can.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I'm getting one long beep and nothing on the screen when I turn it on. What does this mean?

Reply 3 of 3, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-22, 06:23:

computer is broken 😜
It means it needs diagnosing. Multimeter and measuring voltages from psu, reseating all the components, removing all the components other than ram cpu graphic card, that sort of stuff

I just came back here to delete the thread because I found one of the RAM sticks was loose, god I feel stupid now 🤣