VOGONS

First post, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Friends,

I am trying to restore my late father's retro pc that includes - two PC-XTs, a 486, a Pentium I and a AMD K6-2.

Today, I tried to do a cleanup task on one of the PC-XT boards with battery damages.
These boards were packed and boxed properly but with those battery for decades. I was not aware of this battery leak issue till this year.

I tried to clean the board with - 1st Vinegar and then Soap Water and then lots of water after removing all the removable ICs.
Then I dried it in the sun for two days.

Issues/damages -
1. Tracks below the battery is damaged.
2. 1st row of memory sockets just next to the battery damaged.
3. Black Corrosion on the back of the PCB just behind the PCB.

I am not a expert on this field, never worked on such thing.
If you be kind enough the give your valuable time and offer your kind valuable suggestion to restore this hardware that has many childhood memories.

Thanking you.

The Board

koxYVAy.jpg
YxJ9oEt.jpg

The Hidden Damages
Tracks below the battery is damaged.
1st row of memory sockets just next to the battery damaged.

ngjGt4j.jpg
tcmfc9G.jpg
CpiK8Ox.jpg

After Cleaning

P2bMMKJ.jpg
bnVlSoj.jpg
lRveDN6.jpg

Black Corrosion on the back of the PCB just behind the PCB.
d4ClnUT.jpg

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 1 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally speaking, all the sockets and chips around the battery need to be removed (you will find many more surprises under them) and then you need to measure continuity and fix all the traces that are cut. Unless there is hidden damage to inner layers, if this board has inner layers at all, it's not something that can't be fixed.

But in practice it's not a trivial repair and you wrote that you've never worked on such thing, so at this point I'm not sure how you plan to proceed?

Reply 3 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Friends, can you pls suggest me what type of XT Motherboard I own? (pic above)

IBM 5150/5155/5160/5162/5170 etc.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 5 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-01-04, 17:52:

That is not an IBM board.

any equivalent or similar?

Reply 6 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ayandon wrote on 2023-01-04, 18:03:

Well if I didn't know better I'd say it's an XT clone of some kind but that looks like a 286 socket. Was that a 286 CPU that came out of it?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-01-05, 17:22:

Well if I didn't know better I'd say it's an XT clone of some kind but that looks like a 286 socket. Was that a 286 CPU that came out of it?

That board is missing all the typical XT board chips (8259 PIC, 8237 DMA controller, 8253 timer), so the chip in the "286-like socket" likely is an XT-on-a-chip, comparable to the FE2010A.

Reply 8 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-01-05, 18:32:

That board is missing all the typical XT board chips (8259 PIC, 8237 DMA controller, 8253 timer), so the chip in the "286-like socket" likely is an XT-on-a-chip, comparable to the FE2010A.

I removed few chips from the motherboard for cleaning purposes.
Here are few pics -

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ayandon wrote on 2023-01-04, 18:03:

V20

Reply 10 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the current status of the XT motherboard after removing the memory sockets.
Pls give your recommendations, it helps a lot and guide me.

Attachments