VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am currently using an optical Microsoft Intellimouse on my 486, using a PS/2 adapter. The Ps/2 port on my PC is a slot/bracket connector which connects to a header on my 4DPS Tomato board. It is a very fickle port and I have had the mouse stop working while using it, requiring me to pull out the machine and mess around with the connection until it works again. I was trying to avoid using serial ports because I have an external modem connected to one, and I have a null-modem cable to connect it to other computers, but I may start checking out serial mouse options. I found some optical serial mice out there, but I also came across what seems to be hybrid mice? I have seen descriptions of some mice which say they are both optical and mechanical. Has anyone used any of these? If so, how are they? do they use optical tech in lieu of the little rollers which always get clogged with lint and what not? Would you recommend getting one? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not just fix the ps2 header? 😀
at least two people made pi pico USB to serial mouse converters, letting you use any usb mouse

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-11-21, 17:03:

I may start checking out serial mouse options. I found some optical serial mice out there, but I also came across what seems to be hybrid mice? I have seen descriptions of some mice which say they are both optical and mechanical. Has anyone used any of these? If so, how are they? do they use optical tech in lieu of the little rollers which always get clogged with lint and what not? Would you recommend getting one? Thanks!

Oh, these mice transfer the rotation of a mouse ball to an internal X and Y axis sensor with cheap optical light barrieres.
They are ball mice at all and pickup any dirt on the mousepad or area where you use them.

I'd recommend to fix your PS/2 mouse plug and connector.

Reply 3 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd also just fix the PS/2 port. Deeming by your problem description, it's probably as easy as reflowing or replacing the connector.

If you really want to avoid the above, many old KVM switches can do PS/2 to serial translation. There are also adapters available to use modern peripherals with old computers.

Reply 4 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed if you can avoid serial mice its a backwards step.
I've had trouble with the PS/2-USB adapters not wanting to sit in the port as well though.

I'd look at getting PS/2 Intellimouse or similar which fit better in the port in my experience. Comanies like HP even used true Intellimouse and just slapped their logo on it if your on a budget.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still love serial mice, since they are so compatible and trouble free.

Windows 3.1 has an issue with PS/2 mice, also. It has to do with packet size
and the odd mouse+keyboard virtualization in 386 Enhanced-Mode, I vaguely remember.

Mechanical mice (ball, potentiometer wheels) or opto-mechanical mice (ball, light barrier wheel) are fine to me, too.
Just have to use a quality mouse pad and not the bare desk surface.
The difference is as if eating with silverware vs. bare fingers. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2022-11-22, 03:10:

Oh, these mice transfer the rotation of a mouse ball to an internal X and Y axis sensor with cheap optical light barrieres.

Isn't this how the wheel rotation is detected in practically all modern mice as well?

Anyways, PS/2 mice are still easily available, I bought a couple Genius PS/2 mice (unused, could be old stock though) few weeks ago.

Reply 8 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote on 2022-11-25, 16:30:
Disruptor wrote on 2022-11-22, 03:10:

Isn't this how the wheel rotation is detected in practically all modern mice as well?

I don't know how a wheel based gaming mouse gains its accuracy.
I still prefer (full) optical mice on PS/2 ports.

Reply 10 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hated mechanical mice and still do. Back in the mid-1990s I got my hands on Mouse Systems optical mouse. It required a metal mouse pad with grid on it. Very 'authentic' for an old build, and you can still find them.

Have moved to trackballs these days for general use, running my retro systems with a turn-of-the-millennium Microsoft Trackball Explorer. Not quite period correct for DOS builds, but still the best ergonomics of any pointing device I've owned.