VOGONS

First post, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 4 screws/posts that hold the slot 1 retention mechanisms on the motherboard...anyone know the size/thread pitch of those 4 posts? Metric I assume?

I have a board that doesn't have them and it looks like I need to buy some screws to go into my pIII style processor retention posts.

I took the plastic part with the nuts in it to the hardware store the other day but with their limited selection I didn't find a screw that fit properly.

Pic attached.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well....seems I was focused too much on metric sizes. I had a bag of #6-32 screws and that seems to be the solution.

Looking further, they are the same size as your typical case screws that are used throughout. Just a case screw isn't long enough for this particular instance.

Reply 3 of 9, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-11-22, 08:40:

There are not necessarily screws, sometimes it was solved with plastic push pins.

Correct, but I did not have any retention posts like that...there'd have been no reason to ask if I would have 😀

The screw into the brass nut really holds well though. Especially when using a slocket as I've not found many (outside of those with the full plastic around the outside) that actually "click" properly into the retention posts. Always seemed like a poor way to retain a heavy processor, especially in the SECC2 days when the posts got smaller/flimsier.

Reply 4 of 9, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It got me too. I took it to the hardware store as well and the old guy just lost one of the nuts over there! so I had to order a new brackets 🙁 And finally I noticed it is M3.5 (same size/thread of CDROM screws but needs to be longer).

I ended up ordering a few from eBay (with lengths of 6mm, 8,mm, 10mm and 12mm) from China and still waiting for them to get delivered.

Reply 5 of 9, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_tk wrote on 2022-11-22, 03:46:

Well....seems I was focused too much on metric sizes. I had a bag of #6-32 screws and that seems to be the solution.

Looking further, they are the same size as your typical case screws that are used throughout. Just a case screw isn't long enough for this particular instance.

The M3.5 screws arrived and I can confirm they don't work! and now found a #6-32 screw which fits perfectly. Just need to order a few with 1/2" length.

Reply 6 of 9, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad this thread helped...just a little too late though, 🤣.

Pretty much every hardware store around me carries metric screws and they definitely have plenty of #6-32 to choose from.

It's a randomly rare problem and I still curse SECC2 to this day. Slot 1 SECC is ok but when Intel changed to the inferior SECC2 I'm not sure what they were thinking. Just getting us ready for other great ideas such as the i810 chipset and the push for RAMBUS via the i820.

Reply 7 of 9, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been re doing and getting new retention brackets for many Slot 1 motherboards I have. Some do not have anything and I have been looking for the bottom screws to go in. Asked on The Retro Web discord and they responded 6-32UNC as well. Will look for 1/2 length. Thank you.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 8 of 9, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2023-02-08, 06:15:

I have been re doing and getting new retention brackets for many Slot 1 motherboards I have. Some do not have anything and I have been looking for the bottom screws to go in. Asked on The Retro Web discord and they responded 6-32UNC as well. Will look for 1/2 length. Thank you.

V

I have ordered 1/2" and 3/8" in case and after receiving them I noticed the 1/2" one is a bit too long as the screw can't go through the special nut all the way and get stuck right at the end on threads where you supposed to hold the nut with screwdriver. So the 3/8" length is the one to pick.

Reply 9 of 9, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
a_h_adl wrote on 2023-02-25, 22:04:
Vanessaira wrote on 2023-02-08, 06:15:

V

I have ordered 1/2" and 3/8" in case and after receiving them I noticed the 1/2" one is a bit too long as the screw can't go through the special nut all the way and get stuck right at the end on threads where you supposed to hold the nut with screwdriver. So the 3/8" length is the one to pick.

Thank you so much! This helps a ton.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World