VOGONS

First post, by Toaster999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Hope you're all well

Just running out of things to check. The FDD is not showing any signs of life unless the cables are on backward then is lights up. HDD seems fine but shows a disk error when booting (known good)
The FDD doesn't make any whirring clicking noises.

I have checked :

1. Multiple cables
2. Multiple FDD - including 2 known good ones on my other PC
3. All cards removed
4. Jumpers as when it was working and also checked
5. HDD disconnected
6. Pins not bent
7. BIOS set for A: drive 1.44mb
8. Tried different slots Inc know good one (used for graphic card)

Was working yesterday!

Thanks all!

Reply 2 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With those symptoms, the I/O controller card is the primary suspect. I assume no poltergeist changed the jumper settings on the I/O card last night, so given the current issues, the card might just be broken. So you have a different I/O controller card you could try? Generally, I/O controller cards are interchangable between 286, 386 and 486 computers. If the 486 computer has a VL-based I/O controller card, just the hard drive is on the VL bus, and all other stuff is ISA connected. So floppy, serial, parallel and game port on a VL controller card work in 286-class and 386-class computers. Even 8-bit XT I/O cards work newer computers, but they do not include a hard disk interface.

Reply 3 of 3, by Toaster999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was a lesson in FDD shehhanigans. I had three FDD drives and 7 disks. 2 drive was faulty and several disks. I was trying good disks with the faulty drive and bad disks in the good two. Only thing I can think of.

Anyway suddenly all is good. I have checked for dry joints on the card (been taking it out a few times) but seems to be ok now. Old hardware = fun times.