VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a FIC PA-2013 Socket 7 motherboard with 2MB L2 cache. I was going to use it for a Socket 7 build, when I found out the other day that it was dead as a doorknob.

The facts:

- This board was working when I shelved it 6mos ago
- Current behaviour when turned on:
+ CPU gets warm (I did not try to measure voltage at the CPU socket)
+ Case fans do not spin (There is 0V on the fan headers)
+ No IC gets uncomfortably warm. Actually, even VRMs don't get warm (I did not try to measure voltage outputs from the VRMs)
+ Post card shows nothing, there are no beeps
+ I have tried reseating the BIOS chip and replaced the CMOS battery to no effect (I can't read or reprogram the BIOS chip as it is a socketed PLCC and I have a vanilla 866II-Plus..)

I know that this board has flaky VRMs, and particularly the 3.3V supply to the AGP slot can die out if you try demanding cards like Voodoo 3. The card that ran on this oard last was a Voodoo Banshee. (I did not measure voltage at the AGP slot.)

Any avice on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 13, by Hippo486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first point of any repair is to measure voltages. Check input and output voltages from regulators. The fact your post card shows nothing may indicate a missing supply rail, although Im not certain on that.

Reply 2 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New findings:

- Voltages are fine all across the board including the CPU socket
- I have 12V on the molex and the ISA bus
- There is 0V on the fan connectors
- "--" on the POST card and no beeps

The only possible cause I can think of anymore is bad BIOS.. I will remove and reseat the PLCC chip, and I'll also look for a PLCC to 866II-Pro converter to reflash it 🙁

I am also thinking of doing a recap but a preemptive recap with no visible bulging or leaking sounds like a bad idea for now?

Reply 3 of 13, by Hippo486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you don't have an ESR meter to check them, replacing the caps isn't a bad idea. Worst case you can just remove them if you cant get the board working and reuse them. BIOS is also an option. Also, if you have a method of measuring it, check the clock generator/main oscillator is working OK.

Reply 4 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hippo486 wrote on 2022-11-24, 07:55:

If you don't have an ESR meter to check them, replacing the caps isn't a bad idea. Worst case you can just remove them if you cant get the board working and reuse them. BIOS is also an option. Also, if you have a method of measuring it, check the clock generator/main oscillator is working OK.

I do not own an oscilloscope, it is on my list of things to buy. I've been following reviews on some of the smaller ones Adrian Black have been reviewing.. This one looks like worth biting the bullet for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqrel5fQpK4

The reason I want to try the BIOS before the recap though, is: Electrically there are no shorts and I can't think of anything between the 12V rail and fan headers that could fail open short of a broken trace which I can not seem to find. That means something on the circuit is NOT opening to let the current flow, and considering these are three-pin PWM fan headers the only thing I can think of that will control the voltage to those is the BIOS.. Makes sense?

Reply 5 of 13, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn´t bother about the fan headers at the moment, they will get power as soon as the system starts in a regular way again.

All I can say is that I recently had both a VA-503+ and a PA-2011 (same era as PA-2013) not starting at all after a longer storage time. In both cases all the electrolytics in the VRM circuitry (those with 1000µF or more) had to be replaced by new (quality-) ones to fix this.
But it won´t hurt to reflash BIOS before that.

Reply 6 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:20:

I wouldn´t bother about the fan headers at the moment, they will get power as soon as the system starts in a regular way again.

All I can say is that I recently had both a VA-503+ and a PA-2011 (same era as PA-2013) not starting at all after a longer storage time. In both cases all the electrolytics in the VRM circuitry (those with 1000µF or more) had to be replaced by new (quality-) ones to fix this.
But it won´t hurt to reflash BIOS before that.

This is good feedback thanks. As far as I can see the ones installed on the board are S.I.S. branded, basically noname. Unfortunately all replacements I have are also similarly low quality high ESR ones by Jwco etc. I guess I will have to make an order tonight and replace all the electrolytics on this board then 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all I would check all jumpers. Maybe some of them lost contact. I don't think faulty caps cause the system not running at all. Probably it would become instable. Also maybe some chip lost contact: try to check contacts of smd chip with a needle or a toothpick and contacts of bga chips pressing on them.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 9 of 13, by Hippo486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:34:

I can recommend Rubycon ZLH or ZLS or some Panasonic low (not "lowest") ESR series with a decent 105° lifetime of 2500 - 5000h.

Can also recommend the Rubycons/Panasonics. Think the Panasonics will be a little cheaper but still good quality.

Reply 10 of 13, by Hippo486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:58:

First of all I would check all jumpers. Maybe some of them lost contact. I don't think faulty caps cause the system not running at all. Probably it would become instable. Also maybe some chip lost contact: try to check contacts of smd chip with a needle or a toothpick and contacts of bga chips pressing on them.

I used to repair motherboards for a Kuka robot system which used off the shelf socket 7 motherboards. All the boards would refuse to do anything until the caps had been replaced.

Its not a 100% fix every time, but it happens so often because of normal failure and the capacitor fiasco, that its always a solid start.

Reply 11 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:07:

I do not own an oscilloscope, it is on my list of things to buy. I've been following reviews on some of the smaller ones Adrian Black have been reviewing.. This one looks like worth biting the bullet for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqrel5fQpK4

There exist a ~$80 2 channel SigPeak DSO2512G version of above https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-2c … gpeak-dso2512g/ using both channels cuts sampling rate to 100MHz (or overclocked 120MHz).

YT review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4s4-BT5-8

appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:07:

The reason I want to try the BIOS before the recap though, is: Electrically there are no shorts and I can't think of anything between the 12V rail and fan headers that could fail open short of a broken trace which I can not seem to find. That means something on the circuit is NOT opening to let the current flow, and considering these are three-pin PWM fan headers the only thing I can think of that will control the voltage to those is the BIOS.. Makes sense?

even if bios was controlling fans, PWM controller would still be designed to start full ON?

Anyway contrary to previous posters I would recommend Cheapest low ESR caps you can get _from a reputable source_. That means mouser, newark/element14/avnet, arrow, digikey, farnell, TME. For example https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/katalog/tht-elec … 1632190;&page=1
No need for elitism (pun incoming) when the cheapest "Elite" branded caps are solid https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/anyon … or-brand-elite/ and will easily outlive your usage of this board.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 12 of 13, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-25, 04:00:

even if bios was controlling fans, PWM controller would still be designed to start full ON?

It can be like on the picture. The FAN-ON is wired to GPIO of a southbridge. I think similar schematics may be used also in PA-2013.

ms6147-fan-on.png

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 13 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I reflashed the BIOS and that did not solve anything.

There are two mosfets on the top of the board near the CPU socket. For one, the voltages read (IIRC): S: 9V, D: 7V, G: 5V; for the other they look odd though, S: 5V, D: 2.8V, G: 0V. 2.8V is what I expect (and find) in the CPU socket so I guess they are fine?

I can't really find what is wrong with this board, I may have to go through with the recap..