VOGONS

First post, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have an AT clone 80286 motherboard with an integrated floppy controller that, very recently, has been acting very strange. When I boot up the system it will detect both drives and they will perform a head-seek without issue. It will (sometimes) boot from a 720k disk and very rarely from a 1.44m disk, seems to be random as to whether or not it will each time. Other times it will fail to boot and just send me into BIOS or occasionally freeze. The system ROM has some built-in floppy tests and when running those it will sometimes work; again, it works more often on 720k and 360k disks than 1.44m (I don't have any 1.2m disks to test). However, oftentimes it will give CRC errors at random places on the disk, and sometimes it will fail to read, format, or write the disk in any capacity just giving "Disk Error Unknown" Exactly what (and when) happens is different every time and rarely it will actually work normally for a while.

I have deduced that it is a controller problem since both of the drives are fine in other systems and when I used an addin card's floppy controller (and disabled the integrated one) everything worked fine. I have tried running the system at both 6mhz and 12.5mhz, same behaviour at either speed. I know that the easy solution would be to just use the addin floppy controller but that isn't really an option long-term since I plan to use basically all the ISA slots. Does anybody know what the issue may be causing this seemingly random instability of the FDC? Or where to start troubleshooting the problem.

The motherboard is "ITT Motherboard" from an ITT Xtra Professional series/400 computer. Here is a picture of the board of with the floppy controller region circled:

FpKZ55d.jpeg
Filename
FpKZ55d.jpeg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Note: the floppy controller has been working fine until recently when I was going to install an MFM controller and at a certain point the system stopped booting from floppies and the issues as described started happening; a little later, for a while the whole board seem bricked (no POST, beep, or display) but, after some cleaning, it randomly started working again and Supersoft/Landmark ROMs didn't seem to find any issues. (I attached an image of Landmark ROM running, FDC was not enabled when I ran this) The main system is working fine now but the issues with the integrated FDC have persisted.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what are you going to use all the ISA slots for ? Those 8-bit slots are somewhat useless on a 286 except for possibly using an add-in floppy controller (even the 16 bit ISA IDE/floppy cards work in an 8 bit slot for floppy purposes)
As for trouble shooting cannot see much with that picture. Can you take a higher resolution one that is not out of focus ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-11-26, 03:09:

So what are you going to use all the ISA slots for ? Those 8-bit slots are somewhat useless on a 286 except for possibly using an add-in floppy controller (even the 16 bit ISA IDE/floppy cards work in an 8 bit slot for floppy purposes)
As for trouble shooting cannot see much with that picture. Can you take a higher resolution one that is not out of focus ?

I am using the 16 bit slots for various things (like XMS, MFM, sound card, etc.) one of the 8-bit slots is used for my EGA card (which also contains lpt1 and com1) and I have one 8-bit slot free to use an ancient card called the Vocalink that I have been experimenting with.

Also, my 2 addin floppy controllers are not standalone FDCs, they are 16-bit cards that have a floppy controller among other things: one is an SCSI card and the other is a multi I/O card which I thought would work but the available IDE addresses both conflict with the MFM controller address 🙁 (so I need to use a different IDE controller, that happens not to have an FDC.)

Sorry about the bad image, I attached some better closeup photos of the FDC area of the board.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 4, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-11-26, 13:49:

How's your desoldering chops? You might want to socket and replace the 765

I wouldn't have much of a problem removing the chip but I don't have any replacements readily available and I would have to buy one. It would take a very long time for a replacement 765 to arrive so I would like to try other things (like maybe a bad capacitor or 74xxx) before ordering a new 765.