VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I am having a hard time getting the latest bios for the STL2 motherboard.
So far I only got files filled with viruses…
Could you help?
Also, if updated with Tualatin microcodes would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 10, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2022-11-26, 12:06:
Hello, I am having a hard time getting the latest bios for the STL2 motherboard. So far I only got files filled with viruses… Co […]
Show full quote

Hello,
Could you help?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
It was downloaded from a mirror because Intel had removed old resources from its sites.
There're preserved pages in the web.archive.org.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/ser … b/cs-007118.htm
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.a … 2&ProductID=464
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.a … 1&ProductID=464

Attachments

• Intel_STL2_upgr.png
    Filename
    Intel_STL2_upgr.png
    File size
    51.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Recommended BIOS upgrade method
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Intel_STL2_BIOS.zip
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File comment
    BIOS113_b27.exe BIOS for Intel STL2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2022-11-26, 12:06:
Hello, I am having a hard time getting the latest bios for the STL2 motherboard. So far I only got files filled with viruses… Co […]
Show full quote

Hello,
Could you help?
Thanks in advance.

None that I've ever come across - boards top out at 1000/256/133 coppermine processors...tualatin support didn't arrive from intel until later boards like the SDS2

Reply 3 of 10, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you so much for the support.
Yes, I was expecting it won’t support Tualatin out of the box, but I have two Lin Lin adapters, so updating microcodes could help.

Reply 4 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mamba wrote on 2022-11-27, 12:26:

Thank you so much for the support.
Yes, I was expecting it won’t support Tualatin out of the box, but I have two Lin Lin adapters, so updating microcodes could help.

Intel motherboard BIOS tended to have lockout or whitelist/ blacklist "features" to prevent CPU upgrades to CPUs deemed too new or unsupported on a given board. AFAIK, those tended to be added to later BIOS versions for a given board .

Depending on how that was done, it might allow only specific CPU models to work (block everything else) or block certain specific CPU models that were otherwise physically and electrically compatible. I don't know which was used nor if the STL2 is affected.

Reply 5 of 10, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I have a problem here…
Installed the board but no matter what, the second cpu is not recognised (it says disabled for error).
Of course I inverted the CPUs, same result.
And yes, I have the VRM card installed.

I am using two SL5QV 100Mhz cpu.
Could be this the issue?

There are jumpers to select the proper cpu to install, but I am not able to understand exactly what they stand for (useless multiplier or what?).

Someone with experience with this board may help? It is very cool to me and want to use it…

Reply 8 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for testing my theory you could measure resistance between the Aux connector and the corresponding pins on the ATX connector. If there's high resistance you could solder wire bridges to the backside for testing wether the board will use the second CPU when there's power on the Aux connector.

Reply 9 of 10, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-31, 09:41:

Just for testing my theory you could measure resistance between the Aux connector and the corresponding pins on the ATX connector. If there's high resistance you could solder wire bridges to the backside for testing wether the board will use the second CPU when there's power on the Aux connector.

Sorry this is outside of my expertise, I was searching for a proper ATX PSU with AUX connector that won’t have the noise of a taking off Eurofighter in any case.
So will try to find one.
Meanwhile, still if there is an angel who could mod the latest 1.13 bios to add Tualatin microcodes, I would be grateful.

Reply 10 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2022-12-31, 09:57:
Sorry this is outside of my expertise, I was searching for a proper ATX PSU with AUX connector that won’t have the noise of a ta […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-31, 09:41:

Sorry this is outside of my expertise, I was searching for a proper ATX PSU with AUX connector that won’t have the noise of a taking off Eurofighter in any case.
So will try to find one.
Meanwhile, still if there is an angel who could mod the latest 1.13 bios to add Tualatin microcodes, I would be grateful.

You don't need the AUX power connector - the board will power on fine with just the 24 pin ATX connector.

Although these boards were designed with 133MHz FSB processors in mind, I can't see why 100MHz ones won't work also, either with 1 or 2 processors, though with Intel anything is possible!

There is an option in the BIOS to clear processor errors - have you tried that? - F2 to enter the BIOS at power-on, then select processors on the main menu tab and then select the clear processor errors option; both processors should show 'normal' operation, then exit and reboot.