GTX 590 Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Never EVER test a GTX 590 with Furmark. It can kill your card outright (as mentioned previously).

Only on specific driver. And you can totally kill it with simple 3DMark run.

3600MHz on NB Freq. and 2400MHz DRAM speed - isn't easy to stabilise.

Easier on two channels, although overclocking RAM past original 2:1 NB/RM ratio has diminished returns. And it's impossible to achieve 4800 NB on LGA1366 without LN.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 25, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2022-12-09, 21:20:
its a v1.0. it still has the water cooling thing and the huge air cooling thing on the North bridge still attached most of these […]
Show full quote
Errius wrote on 2022-12-09, 08:21:

As an aside, which version of the UD7 is this? Version 1.0 is actually better (more robust for overclocking) than 2.0. When Gigabyte released the UD9 they went back and gimped the UD7 so it wouldn't compete with the more expensive board. This was controversial at the time. (Some people described the 2.0 as a "UD5 in disguise" because of this.)

its a v1.0. it still has the water cooling thing and the huge air cooling thing on the North bridge still attached most of these seemed to have gotten tossed out. i removed all the heat sinks and re pasted. it was all dry and crusty flaked off. with the new paste the motherboard never goes past 50. cpu hits about 60.

about the only sucky thing is to get those crazy fast raid 0 speeds u need a raid card in this case the m5014 is what i got as there quite cheap. but they make the boot speeds slow af even with the latest firmware its a slow process. once the system is booted its fast as hell for a windows xp system. i wonder if anyone knows of a raid card that has a quicker start up time and don't cost a fortune but is old enough to support windows xp?

its a shame someone couldn't make an 8 or 16x nvme drive that could fully saturate the pci-e bus of one of these old machines and that had some kind of built in bios that could make it possible to boot with them on these old systems.

so i been trying to figure out the fastest storage option that i can use with this machine but windows xp 32 bit seems to bit the limiting factor.

i had an Lsi 9260-8i this could do around 1200 read and about the same writes speed. but had the most god awful boot time it would take like 2 mins for the card to run its boot process with the lastest firmware installed.

so then i tired to get an nvme drive going. there is a guy over on tech power up who is making modded bios to let u boot nvme on x58 boards. and there is another guy who apparently back ported a windows 7 driver.

first i tired putting the drive in as a second drive for testing the driver did indeed make the drive detectable by windows xp however and with a 8x pci-e nvme card by star tech the read speeds were 3000mb/s but as soon as write test on crystal disk mark would start the system would hard lock tired countless things and nothing mattered.

so then i figured id try slip streaming the driver in and just see if i could do the install but they installer would just freeze up.

i asked around on the forum were i got the driver site that offers the xp REMOVED and no one seem to have an answer.

so i gave up on nvme.

i ordered an lsi 9280-24i4e witch was a tiny bit newer card the one i already had and a much higher end model. and had more ram cache then model of 9260 i had.

with this card the read speeds are now 2150-2200 and just under 2000 on the write speeds quite a bit more then the other card. but this card also boots in like 30 or so seconds compared to the other card that would sit there at the initialization screen for ages.

as far as i can tell this card was the last model release by lsi that had an official windows xp 32 bit driver.

looking at other brands adaptec seem to stop releasing xp 32 bit drivers with the sata 2 raid cards.

all the dell/hp/ibm/Lenovo branded cards mostly seem to be just rebraned Lsi cards or just have sever os drivers.

so from what i can tell if u want to make an xp 32 bit machine and have the fastest possible storage the lsi 9280-24i4e is the way to go.

with windows 2003 sever there driver support went a little further down the line but not much and i don't know how well windows sever 2003 would run games so not sure i want to bother to try.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-06-29, 02:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aaron158 wrote on 2023-03-15, 03:42:

so from what i can tell if u want to make an xp 32 bit machine and have the fastest possible storage the lsi 9280-24i4e is the way to go.
with windows 2003 sever there driver support went a little further down the line but not much and i don't know how well windows sever 2003 would run games so not sure i want to bother to try.

I think you can go with AHCI Marvell M2 SSDs too, by using backported AHCI driver. Plextor M6e and Kingston HyperX Predator specifically.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd think it would be fine but agree what's the point?
Your obviously trying push XP to the limit, and while the 2 are very closely related 2003 isn't XP so defeats the purpose.

Reply 24 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2003 is pretty much the same as XP as far as game compatibility and was preferred at the time by enthusiasts. It's been awhile but only DirectMusic was an issue and there is a solution for that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 25, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-15, 04:44:

I think you can go with AHCI Marvell M2 SSDs too, by using backported AHCI driver. Plextor M6e and Kingston HyperX Predator specifically.

i tired with a samsung SM951 ahci and windows xp couldn't even see that the drive was there.

looking at your 2 suggestions the plextor one looks rather slow just a tiny bit faster then even a single sata ssd. the kingston one is still a bit slower then the sata raid card so even if they worked it wouldn't really be a performance gain.