VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My company is setting up a 90's themed party.
There will be a retro gaming corner (mostly consoles). I proposed to bring some retro PC's of the era. But i still hesitate on some details (hardware and software).

I wanted to bring two PCs. I picked a laptop and a Super Socket 7 system in an open case (I don't have a lot of cases. A lot less than motherboards)

- The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS. Pentium 120 / 16MB / Windows 95
- The Super Socket 7 is a Soltek SL-54U1 Rev 3.0. board with K6-2 500 / 64 MB PC100 / Voodoo Banshee / AWE64

I would love to bring my V2 SLI, but I don't want to risk to damage the cards (even if this is a tech company and I know everyone will be super careful). I still hesitate with a TNT2 ultra.

My goal is to cover a broad part of the mid to late 90's gaming experience. I don't have a lot of dos era hardware (it's not my generation) so I'm not going to propose a lot of that. So in term of games, I'm thinking about :

• Doom (both PCs)
  • Quake (both PCs)
  • Tomb raider (both PCs)
  • Diablo (both PCs)
  • HL (SS7)
  • Midtown Madness (SS7)
  • Unreal + UT99 (SS7)
  • Tomb Raider 2 (SS7)
  • Machine Hunter (SS7)
  • Ultim@te race pro (SS7)

Maybe an adventure game for the Pentium ?

I will be providing serial multiplayer with a null modem cable for doom/quake.

Did you ever participated in a similar event ?
Any ideas ? Thoughts ?

Thank you very much

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there. Sounds good. Hower, I don't know if I can help.

Here in my place, 90s games like Rayman, or Moorhuhn were a thing, I suppose.
The latter was a hit in offices at the turn of the millennium.

Other interesting games from the 90s that come to mind:

- Myst (Windows)
- SimCity (Windows or OS/2 port)
- Creatures! (Windows)
- Star Trek games (25th Anniversary, A Final Unity etc)
- Descent 1 or 2
- Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail (just kidding)

However, I don't know if these titles were known among the guests. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's worth investigating what they were playing back then.

In the end, Chips Challenge, SkiFree or the Microsoft Entertainment Packs (Windows 3.x) may trigger more nostalgia than the big games.

Good luck! 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Single player games may work at a party if people are interested in watching/commenting somebody play (me and my friends sure enjoyed this as kids!) but personally I'd go with casual multi player games like the Worms series or maybe quick racing games or a vehicular combat game like Twisted Metal or Interstate ’76 for networked multiplayer.

Reply 3 of 25, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really enjoy playing red alert over a serial cable with my son. That's on a Pentium 133, on which it runs fast enough. Does take you a good hour or so if you want to comp stomp, so maybe Doornkaat is right and its better to stick to games you can enjoy for a few minuted. Doom deathmatch might be suitable for that.

Reply 4 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^These things remind me of Microsoft Motocross Madness 1 or 2.
Saw the game being played in a computer shop.
It was hilarious to see the players making stunts and see their protagonists flying off their bikes.
The game supports multi-player game, but not a single machine, sadly. So multiple PCs are needed.

Other games that come to mind:

- Magic Carpet series

- Terminal Velocity
- Fury³ (Win 3.11, Win95)

- Flight Unlimited
- MS Flight Simulator

- Anno 1602

- Alone in the dark

Console conversions :
- Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Comix Zone
- The Lion King
- Ecco the dolphin

But I guess a core problem is: Which 90s is this party about ?

Is it about the popular mid-late 90s (generation Playstation/Win95) or the whole 90s ?

The early 90s were quite different, gaming wise, I think.
There were point&click games by LucasArts, Sierra and intellectually challenging games by Legend Entertainment.

People of tthe time played Lemmings or Prince of Persia, BlockOut, SpaceQuest etc.

It was a different era of video games essentially.

Good luck. 🙂🤞

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another idea if you're leaning more towards single player: Run a DOS game that keeps a highscore on the laptop and offer a small reward for the top three on to motivate people to use your systems and promote a bit of motivational rivalry.
I can't come up with a game right now though.😅

Reply 6 of 25, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much ! A lot of great suggestions.

During the event, i will probably have to explain a bit of the hardware and games history.
And i think i will be more confident to talk about games i really know, and played back then.
There are really great suggestions in your comments, but there are some games that i only know by name and never actually played.
For that reason, i will probably only pick games i actually know and played.

Rayman and SkiFree ! Definitely !
Worms !
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail... i will think about it 😀

I spent great time on Motocross Madness. It was bundled with the MS Sidewinder Freestyle pro controller i had. And i actually have one (another one) and the game too... So definitely possible.

Jo22 wrote on 2022-12-07, 18:39:

But I guess a core problem is: Which 90s is this party about ?

The theme is "90's" with no precisions...
The limit is more on my side. I started using computers in the mid 90's so my hardware collection is really aimed at 3D games.
With my hardware, my games and my knowledge, i will only be able to talk about the second half of the 90's.

My fear is not about "early or late 90's games". But more about the music playlist content...

Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-07, 12:26:

Single player games may work at a party if people are interested in watching/commenting somebody play (me and my friends sure enjoyed this as kids!) but personally I'd go with casual multi player games like the Worms series or maybe quick racing games or a vehicular combat game like Twisted Metal or Interstate ’76 for networked multiplayer.

Blavius wrote on 2022-12-07, 13:07:

I really enjoy playing red alert over a serial cable with my son. That's on a Pentium 133, on which it runs fast enough. Does take you a good hour or so if you want to comp stomp, so maybe Doornkaat is right and its better to stick to games you can enjoy for a few minuted. Doom deathmatch might be suitable for that.

I totally agree. I first thought to bring a single PC. But multiplayer was the big thing back then.
Doom, Quake, AoE, Diablo, Red Alert. Then i thought i could bring a second one, but maybe a laptop (for convenience).
But now, i think the laptop will probably be the limiting factor because it's not powerful enough to play most games.
I tried Doom and Quake. Doom is fine, Quake is OK(ish) in software rendering. But the CSTN screen ruins the show. And if i need to bring an external screen for the laptop, why not just bring a second PC.
I have a PIII 700 / GeForce 256 SDR / SB Live Gold in a period correct case. That will probably do the job. And be far better for late games and multiplayer. Then multiplayer HL/CS/Quake III becomes possible.

Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-07, 19:26:

Another idea if you're leaning more towards single player: Run a DOS game that keeps a highscore on the laptop and offer a small reward for the top three on to motivate people to use your systems and promote a bit of motivational rivalry.
I can't come up with a game right now though.😅

That's also a good idea. And i was also thinking about that. But i can't think of any games with high scores either.
I even know what prize i would offer. An IBM 650 punched card with 60 years old Fortran code punched on it... because i have at least a thousand of them.
High-scores was far more common in arcade games and PC arcade ports. And this was becoming less popular in late 90's

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.
I think i will go with two PC's and not with the laptop. And install more "quick play" multiplayer games. (will still install some single player games to trigger memories)

Is the hardware OK ? i really try to stay period correct. The GeForce 256 is barely 90's. But can still be qualified as a 90's card... and is very historically significant.

Reply 7 of 25, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like a great idea. When I was younger, at our apartment, we'd take turns playing Doom in a dimly bedroom while everyone else socialized in the living room. These were people who had heard of Doom and were familiar with what it was but had never played it, and who weren't what I would call 'computer confident' people. They'd get a quick rundown of the controls and a demonstration of the gameplay so that they could see what they were supposed to do, and then they were left on their own. About half quit early and were probably too overwhelmed (crappy hand-eye coordination) but it was nice to see others who really took a liking. Good times.

If it were me, I'd tone it down and prepare a presentation that's the same for everyone, so they have something to talk about with each other. I wouldn't force anything, or give a speech. I'd let the people come to me and leverage their curious state to achieve the desirable outcome. Here's an example of what I would do. Keep in mind that I live in Canada:

Games:
Doom, Quake, Diablo, Tomb Raider

Theme:
First Generation Block Busters, and presenting His Majesty King John Carmack.

Talking Points:
Doom, Quake, Diablo, Tomb Raider (First Generation Block Busters, self explanatory)
Doom to Quake Evolution (King Carmack)
Quake vs. Tomb Raider: Software vs. Hardware 3D Acceleration (King Carmack)

With a well structured approach, you might find youself the life of the party, by inducing a group conversation about some fellow named Carmack who was a star of the computer gaming industry. Who knows, it might be so well executed that you gain a favourable impression with someone whom which it matters. You might even get lucky. 😜

Reply 9 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh my first though of as it's a party you really want think like an arcade. Games that are quick to get into but don't keep you on a system for long

I did go to a party that advertised "retro consoles" amongst other things. You want games that newbies can walk up to play for 5 min and walk away 1 so others can have a turn and 2 as for most people it'll only be a passing interest until their next drink/chat/whatever and something like Diablo or Red Alert you really need to invest more then 5 minutes to get much enjoyment and the next player doesn't really want to be stuck picking up where the last one left off.

Single player games are still important, you may find even the multiplayer games are mostly done single player as the groups have to get the timing right to start gaming at the same time.

as for games
Doom, Duke3d Quake3, Unreal Tournament and HL would be big ones, definitely

Driving games are safe, I'd also include games like Terminal Velocity and Magic Carpet in this category as well
2 other suggestions
Either Need for Speed 1 or 2 will give you support for both Null modem and split screen
Carmageddon was kinda big and controversial in the 90.

Platformers are easy for a quick session, Keen, earlier Duke's plenty to take your pick and represent earlier 90's I spose.

Finally you wan't to have it real easy for people to start a game. So you can go and enjoy the party yourself rather then hanging round the computers the whole time helping people.

PS love that your using serial as the network, that's very 90's in itself and how alot of people experienced multiplayer for the first time.

Reply 10 of 25, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-12-07, 10:31:

My company is setting up a 90's themed party.
Any ideas ? Thoughts ?

90's theme huh? a sense of optimism about the future perhaps?

but seriously, suggestions all sound good - and it would be interesting to hear about how it went

Reply 11 of 25, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maestro wrote on 2022-12-08, 01:40:

If it were me, I'd tone it down and prepare a presentation that's the same for everyone, so they have something to talk about with each other. I wouldn't force anything, or give a speech. I'd let the people come to me and leverage their curious state to achieve the desirable outcome.

Totally. I'm already planning at least a small paper sheet for the hardware and each games.

maestro wrote on 2022-12-08, 01:40:

Sounds like a great idea. When I was younger, at our apartment, we'd take turns playing Doom in a dimly bedroom while everyone else socialized in the living room. These were people who had heard of Doom and were familiar with what it was but had never played it, and who weren't what I would call 'computer confident' people. They'd get a quick rundown of the controls and a demonstration of the gameplay so that they could see what they were supposed to do, and then they were left on their own. About half quit early and were probably too overwhelmed (crappy hand-eye coordination) but it was nice to see others who really took a liking. Good times.

Same things here ! But it was Diablo over 56k DialUp at my cousin's place.

chinny22 wrote on 2022-12-08, 11:08:
Yeh my first though of as it's a party you really want think like an arcade. Games that are quick to get into but don't keep y […]
Show full quote

Yeh my first though of as it's a party you really want think like an arcade.
Games that are quick to get into but don't keep you on a system for long
[...]
as for games
Doom, Duke3d Quake3, Unreal Tournament and HL would be big ones, definitely

Driving games are safe, I'd also include games like Terminal Velocity and Magic Carpet in this category as well
2 other suggestions
Either Need for Speed 1 or 2 will give you support for both Null modem and split screen
Carmageddon was kinda big and controversial in the 90.

Platformers are easy for a quick session, Keen, earlier Duke's plenty to take your pick and represent earlier 90's I spose.

Yes, with only two computers, in order to avoid interested people to wait, you need games that are easy to play.
I will include some other games more for the memory (Diablo is here for that). I don't have all games you mentioned, but i will include the closest match i have.
(I don't have Duke3d or the two first NFS. But will probably include Midtown Madness and Ultim@te Race pro. Maybe Screamer Rally.

Disruptor wrote on 2022-12-08, 07:50:

Well, setup a network with BNC cable, install IPX drivers for DOS, play the map Stadium in Duke Nukem 3D.

chinny22 wrote on 2022-12-08, 11:08:

PS love that your using serial as the network, that's very 90's in itself and how alot of people experienced multiplayer for the first time.

Thank you very much. In my daily activities i work in the network field for big datacenters. I love the simplicity of a serial connection.
I also don't have the hardware for BNC networks. The older i have are old ethernet and a 10Base-T hub.
But back in the time, for only two computers, crossover ethernet or serial null-modem was a lot cheaper. It may be more "authentic"

gerry wrote on 2022-12-08, 11:11:

but seriously, suggestions all sound good - and it would be interesting to hear about how it went

Sure ! The event will take place next week. I will update this thread with the feedbacks i got from the audience.

Reply 12 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Null modem via V.24 was quite common in the 90s.
It was cheap, had good software support and could be used for distances up to 20m or 50m, even (without amplifier/refresher).
Depending on the wiring (3 wire vs 7 wire), baud rate and cabling (twisted/non-twisted)..

Afaik, early network programs (DOS) from the shareware/public domain sector existed in the 90s.
They allowed for sharing a DOS drive letter via null-modem connection and/or allowed for printer sharing.

Sure, it wasn't super duper fast.
But 115.200 Baud were enough to copy whole DOS directory structures within a few dozen seconds.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, I copied a whole 1,5GB SCSI drive over serial.
In just a single night! 😃

Alternatively, you can use a modem connection.
An old DSL modem/router with VOIP often has two TAE or RJ11 connectors.

So you can use it to connect two Hayes modems and use dial-up option in the games.
This will give an extra 90s flair, maybe, without the need for a land line.

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 25, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Atomic Bomberman! Or is that out of period?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 14 of 25, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh! You need Hover! It's that hovercraft capture the flag game that looks a bit like Doom and has been supported by Windows for almost 30 years because it was made by Microsoft. I think it even still works on Windows 10..? I could be wrong on that.

It would run decently on just about anything that can run Windows 95/98. It is very very 90s in look and feel and supports multiplayer I believe. It is also not violent, which may get more people involved.

The interesting part for "people like us" is that I'm pretty sure it uses whatever the default Windows midi device is for in-game music. So you can experiment with different synths easily.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 15 of 25, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok great, just found out that my Slot 1 board does not boot anymore. Awesome !

So for a period correct late 90's system, i have less choice.
So i'm going for :

• SS7 Soltek SL-54U1 Rev3.0 / K6-2 500 / TNT2 Ultra / AWE64 Value (CT4520)
  • S370 Asus CUBX-E / PIII 700 @ 930 / GeForce SDR / SB Live! (CT4620)

So both quite high-end late 90's.

I was hesitant to go with Slot1 Celeron 300A + Voodoo2 SLI... but the mainboard seems dead.
The SS7 board don't have enough room for the long cards like V2 (CPU is in the way). So TNT2 it will be.

For games, i will follow your advices. Multiplayer games, fast to play (But with some adjustments because i will not propose games i don't know well/owned)

• FPS : Doom / Descent 2 / Quake / Quake 3 / UT99 / HL / CS
  • Racing : POD / Midtown Madness
  • Other : Machine Hunter / SkiFree / Worms Armageddon

There are a lot of other games i would love to include, but HDD has limited space

Reply 16 of 25, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would still recommend Hover. It's a blast. And listen to that midi music... 😀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVeFEBCwXy0

I thought it had multiplayer, but I guess not. Either way, it's a cool game and may appeal to some. The original 1995 release does in fact still run in Windows 10 (with sound and midi music) without even enabling any compatibility features.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 17 of 25, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't care too much about period-correctness for such an event and rather use e.g. a 'too new' GForce 2 instead of a somewhat rare V2 oder GF256. I personally would even buy a cheap GF2 instead of bringing a TNT 2 Ultra, since the Ultra-version is also not so easy the get

For games I would add Wing Commander 2 or 3

Reply 18 of 25, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-12-13, 14:10:

I wouldn't care too much about period-correctness for such an event and rather use e.g. a 'too new' GForce 2 instead of a somewhat rare V2 oder GF256. I personally would even buy a cheap GF2 instead of bringing a TNT 2 Ultra, since the Ultra-version is also not so easy the get

Yes, i was hesitant about bringing the V2 SLI. You can't exclude damages during the event.
Even if it's risky, I like to use the real cards when I play. There are some valuable or fragile cards I tend to use less. But it's too tempting. It's like having a vintage car and never use it !

But it comes with drawbacks. For instance, when I was finally able to get two quite uncommon GTX 7800 512MB version for an SLI setup, I could only play 1h before one died. Too bad. I reverted my config to an SLI of standard GTX 7800. But I don't regret at all. If my goal was to keep it in display, well, even if it's dead, I can still display it 😉

HanSolo wrote on 2022-12-13, 14:10:

For games I would add Wing Commander 2 or 3

Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-13, 14:07:

I would still recommend Hover. It's a blast. And listen to that midi music... 😀

Looks fun ! I will definitely have a look. If I still have room on the HDD, i will probably add a few more games.

Reply 19 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm maybe take the slot 1 system to recreate the true 90's experience, I can't be alone that usually 1/2 of day one of a lan party was spent on troubleshooting rather then actual gameplay?