VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys,
im trying to get this 1999 P3-450 compaq system up and running nicely..

ive aquired some restore discs from archive.org..but how do i actually do the restore process..
i have been into the f10 bios and looked if i can boot from the cd but it only gives A or C..

what i found a little strange was that this machine didnt have a diagnostic partition on the HDD but it let me into the bios anyway.. this is different to the older compaq i was recently restoring..

ive searched the cds to see if there are some instructions there but didnt find anything.. i did find a make boot disk bat file but when i booted from that it gave "non system disk or deisk error"..

when in the f10 bios i didnt see any options for restore there either..

i am at an impass... any hints guys..

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many of those restore CD's require a special boot floppy that you can make off the cd or maybe there is one on Archive org.
Can you point or link the cd set you downloaded , I can not seem to find that exact set ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-08, 15:43:

Many of those restore CD's require a special boot floppy that you can make off the cd or maybe there is one on Archive org.
Can you point or link the cd set you downloaded , I can not seem to find that exact set ?

it was these ones..
https://archive.org/details/compaq-presario-5 … -restore-cd-1-2

i did end up making a boot disk off the cd .. it gave me an error at the end but did work...

i got it into the restore process but it seemed to get stuck at win98 splash screen and was thrashing the hard drive for about 25 mins so i shut it down.. when rebooting it did the same thing, just sat there thrashing the hdd and wouldnt boot further than the splash screen..

at that point i went in and deleted the files in the rood directory and in the windows directory ... then ran a normal win 98 install..

so did get it working but not how i would have liked it