VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had a 5.25 drive, my first computer (Amiga500) and my first PC (DX2) already had 3.5 drives. I would like to buy one, I just don't know too much about it. A drive that also allows me to be able to read and write the floppies of the IBM 5150 which seems to me to be 360k would be useful, but if I remember correctly the 5.25 drives go up to 1.2MB. Is there a drive that reads and writes almost all formats? Thank you

Reply 1 of 13, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, basically 1,2 MB drives can write on 360 K disks, but they write them "wrong" since their write head is to small.
Just written by a 360 K drive DD disks get magnetized by a writing head with proper track width.

For writing 5.25" PC disks you need in fact a HD and a DD drive.
For reading, the HD drive is enough.

Reading DD disks in a DD drive may cause problems when those disks were written in a HD drive.

Reply 3 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume you are in Europe. Look out for broken/faulty Amstrad PC1512/1640 base units. Each one contains one or two DD drives. This is how I obtained mine.

And yes, they work perfectly in Pentium 4 systems with floppy drive controllers. I have one (Sankyo DFE222A10-A ) installed in an ABIT IC7 system. I use this system to create boot disks for my IBM 5160.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some Pentium 4 controllers claim to support 360K drives, but actually freak out when you connect it. So cross your fingers it works. Pre-P4 mobo controllers seem all fine from my experience. As recommended here, a 360K drive can do things the 1.2MB can't. So I keep both.

Reply 7 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Yeah NOS pre-formatted 360k DD or bulk erased/formatted to 360k on a 1.2Mb drive and written on the 1.2Mb, the disks can usually be read ok on some 360k floppy drives but not all.
2. The biggest problem is when you take used 360k floppy disks and using a 1.2MB drive try to format to 360k and write... then you have the issue as disrupter said.
Later model 1/2 height 360k floppy drives usually can read my #1 but those full height 360k drives can not, just not sensitive enough to read the thinner, lower magnetics writing...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

People who have options to choose between drive me crazy with envy. I have yet to find a single working 5.25 drive and I NEED one for my 286 build 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-12-09, 06:23:

People who have options to choose between drive me crazy with envy. I have yet to find a single working 5.25 drive and I NEED one for my 286 build 🙁

Which country are you in ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At a price you consider fair and are willing to pay I assume.

Reply 11 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2022-12-09, 10:34:

At a price you consider fair and are willing to pay I assume.

To be honest I come across at most one of them locally each year and the asking price is usually around the same price as a complete 386/486 era PC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have you tried the internet shopping experience? 😜
I see plenty of dicey ~$10 1.2MB untested floppies, one $35 fully tested 1.2MB, and one $56 fully tested 360KB listed in Poland right now.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 13, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-09, 21:21:

have you tried the internet shopping experience? 😜
I see plenty of dicey ~$10 1.2MB untested floppies, one $35 fully tested 1.2MB, and one $56 fully tested 360KB listed in Poland right now.

It sometimes makes sense to buy "untested". I buy almost all of my vintage stuff this way and I only got a broken MB once. However I managed to get a good 5.25 floppy disk drive recently very cheaply. I usually look what other things the seller is selling. If he/she has various other non computer goods and says the part is "untested" I'm keen to believe them, but if I see a guy selling a bunch of vintage stuff some tested, some "untested" I usually take this to mean "broken".

Also watch this YouTube video about how to fix few common 5.25 in drive issues https://youtu.be/VZ9xhFkHZ5c