VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings.

My mobo is: ASUS P4V800-X and it does not support 3.3V AGP cards. However it seems it does support AGP 4x/8x cards.

The manual says "When you buy an AGP card, make sure that you ask for one with +1.5V or +0.8V specs"

I got an ASUS V9570/TD 256 MB (GeForce FX 5700) card and I think this is a 3.3V AGP card, installed 56.64 Nvidia drivers, DirectX 9.0c as well, however "AGP Texture Acceleration" is disabled,
and the card properties shows: Bus Type: PCI, instead of AGP.

I'm aware of the motherboard bug, however this mobo was already BIOS-downgraded to stable, bugless version (any other AGP cards of mine work correctly)

Now the question is, whenever a 3.3V AGP card is not supported by a mobo, is that the normal side effect? (That no AGP Texture enabled and system considers it as a PCI card)

(VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers are installed already)

Last edited by deksar on 2022-12-10, 20:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
deksar wrote on 2022-12-10, 20:20:
Greetings. […]
Show full quote

Greetings.

My mobo is: ASUS P4V800-X and it does not support 3.3V AGP cards. However it seems it does support AGP 4x/8x cards.

The manual says "When you buy an AGP card, make sure that you ask for one with +1.5V or +0.8V specs"

I got an ASUS V9570/TD 256 MB (GeForce FX 5700) card and I think this is a 3.3V AGP card, installed 56.64 Nvidia drivers, DirectX 9.0c as well, however "AGP Texture Acceleration" is disabled,
and the card properties shows: Bus Type: PCI, instead of AGP.

I'm aware of the motherboard bug, however this mobo was already BIOS-downgraded to stable, bugless version (any other AGP cards of mine work correctly)

Now the question is, whenever a 3.3V AGP card is not supported by a mobo, is that the normal side effect? (That no AGP Texture enabled and system considers it as a PCI card)

(VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers are installed already)

Hi, your card is actually an 8x AGP card that has a universal installation comb (i.e. you can insert the card into slots with 3.3V or 1.5/0.8V signals). It is therefore not a card with 3.3V logic signaling, but since it is an AGP 8x card it is a card with 0.8V signals 😉

The problem you propose must therefore be sought elsewhere

Reply 3 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you will find those who have already faced the problems related to the FX5700 chip (interesting thread) 😉
Quake 2 /3 with NVidia GeForce FX 5700 on Win98SE

But if you don't want to read everything, I tell you that he found the solution (to DirectX and Quake problems) using the Detonator drivers ver. 53.04 (but even with the newer 81.98 things seem to have worked)

Hello and I hope I have been helpful to you 😄

Reply 4 of 12, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it seems the trouble is worse than lack of VIA drivers..

I've tried via 4-in-1 4.48, 5.08A, 4.43, 4.56 drivers (each of them - an another format to entire drive&fresh Win98SE), failed to enable AGP Texture on FX 5700.. 🙁

By the way, I just replaced that card with Asus Radeon 9250 256 MB AGP 8x card, AGP texture was enabled and Bus Mode is set to AGP.

Reply 5 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And to make it complete, thanks to Phil's ComputerLab, here is the direct link to download the drivers:
Ver. 53.04
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … ia_9x_53.04.zip

Ver. 81.98
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … ia_9x_81.98.zip

Reply 6 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
deksar wrote on 2022-12-10, 21:01:

Well, it seems the trouble is worse than lack of VIA drivers..

I've tried via 4-in-1 4.48, 5.08A, 4.43, 4.56 drivers (each of them - an another format to entire drive&fresh Win98SE), failed to enable AGP Texture on FX 5700.. 🙁

By the way, I just replaced that card with Asus Radeon 9250 256 MB AGP 8x card, AGP texture was enabled and Bus Mode is set to AGP.

The problem is the nVidia drivers and not the Via 😉

Reply 8 of 12, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
igna78 wrote on 2022-12-10, 21:09:

If you can do a clean install of Win98, then Via drivers and then the suggested nVidia

I would tell you that if you are using nVidia 53.04 - use Via 4.56

Re-formatted the drive again, installed Via 4.56 (I've tried it too, before) and then nVidia 53.04 driver (never tried this one, but I tried; 56.64, 81.98 without success),

and tada, AGP Texture Acceleration is back, enabled and the card seems working properly.

What was the issue and how have I fixed it? Simply by installing the 53.04 driver? What's so special about it? I mean, I even tried Asus's official own nVidia driver for this card through its support page, still AGP was disabled..

Thanks so much, everyone!

Reply 9 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problems are related to:
1) Via chipset lacking in development and in compliance with standards (is famous PCI latency bug with SoundBlaster Live! cards and if I'm not mistaken Audigy)

2) FX5700 chip of more recent development and release than the previous ones (we're talking about the end of 2003, by now in full transition to WinXP also for games) and therefore supported by less and less better optimized drivers for Win9x and related ecosystem.

The problem has fortunately been solved thanks to the experience shared by the members of Vogons: I mean over time by testing and re-testing (for various study reasons) there have been those who have identified the most stable Via drivers for a given chipset, those who have identified the best performing nVidia drivers for a certain chip and so on and so when a problem arose by putting together the various experiences we found a solution, or try to make the best drivers work together (as in your case)

I just remembered that I had read something here on Vogons about your problem and slowly as I remembered I passed you the information 😉

Reply 10 of 12, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@igna78 that was a great explanation! Now, got it wholly!

Thanks a lot for your time and information!

You mentioned that "famous PCI latency bug with SoundBlaster Live! cards" on VIA chipset. Any link on Vogons so that I could read about it further? Never heard of it because.

Have a great weekend!

Reply 11 of 12, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you search via Google “Via PCI latency bug vogons” you will have to find out, but to simplify I'll give you a summary 😄

I'm not a technician so I apologize in advance if
I express myself too simplistically 😉

Substantially, again due to chipset manufacturing and driver development problems, it may occur on motherboards based on Via chipsets that simultaneous read/write data streams on the hardisk and data streams towards the sound card are not managed correctly: this will result in loss of data being written to the hardisk and anomalies in audio playback (pauses, pops)

At this link you can find the patch developed by a willing programmer (use it at your own risk)
https://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#PCI