VOGONS

First post, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just stumbled over (might've bought) an external CD-ROM drive, with a (for me) strange selection of ports. It only has VGA male (D-SUB 15 pin) and RCA connectors. What was the purpose of that? And how do I get it to work?

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The RCA jacks are probably audio out at line level. The 15-pin d-sub port is probably meant to whatever controller/interface card this thing was meant to be used with, which would also need to provide power (there are no other ports).

Having the same form factor as a VGA port does not mean it is a VGA port. In this case, it almost certainly isn't.

As to getting it work, opening the external case and seeing what that port is connected to would be a good first step. The 15-pin port might need to be used with a long forgotten obscure proprietary interface , but the drive inside might be usable connected to something that can be found (IDE, Panasonic interface, SCSI, for example depending on the drive).

Reply 2 of 4, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I was thinking that it was using the dsub 15pin interface for something else, but was hoping anybody had come across one of these before.

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only seen them with centronics, D sub 25 and D sub 23 with the first 2 being some form of SCSI and the last one being Mitsumi interfaces. I would imagine it needs a one-off interface card sold with the drive, probably going to be ISA.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh could be a variety of the Philips CM100 interface needing a CM153 card, the 15pin is low density at the card end though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.