VOGONS

First post, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All

Came across a reference to this tool recently. I'm (very) wary of things like this - tools that offer to do stuff for free 😀 As the saying goes "when a service is free, you are the product". My assumption is that it contains adware or malware.

I have searched the forums and it comes up occasionally but no-one really talks about it's worth, just that they have used it.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?
Are there better tools available that do the same or similar job?

TIA

Reply 1 of 14, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded the entire offline installer package and put it on a usb drive with easy2boot for installing windows xp. It's fantastic for setting up offline systems and knocking out those obscure chipset drivers that can be such a pain. Had pretty mixed results with Audigy or SBLive drivers though.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2022-12-15, 20:42:

I downloaded the entire offline installer package and put it on a usb drive with easy2boot for installing windows xp. It's fantastic for setting up offline systems and knocking out those obscure chipset drivers that can be such a pain. Had pretty mixed results with Audigy or SBLive drivers though.

Any downsides - bombarded with advertising or had a virus mishap?

Reply 3 of 14, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No ads I can recall. The systems are all airgapped so I'm rather careless about viruses. So no viruses I've noticed, but I don't look too hard.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 14, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

99% of the time it works fine. there is the odd time that a driver it installs is buggy though and can brick things.

some drivers its better to install manually are things like gpu. also sometimes its best not to mess with Raid/Sata/ide drivers as if the wrong or a buggy driver is installed it can sometimes brick ur install and then u gotta start over from scratch.

u can use it for anything from windows xp all the way to windows 11. not sure if it works on windows 2000 i never tired that. it def don't work on any windows 9x systems unfortunately.

Reply 7 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2022-12-16, 18:05:

99% of the time it works fine. there is the odd time that a driver it installs is buggy though and can brick things.
some drivers its better to install manually are things like gpu. also sometimes its best not to mess with Raid/Sata/ide drivers as if the wrong or a buggy driver is installed it can sometimes brick ur install and then u gotta start over from scratch.
u can use it for anything from windows xp all the way to windows 11. not sure if it works on windows 2000 i never tired that. it def don't work on any windows 9x systems unfortunately.

Overall people are sounding positive then... Thanks

Reply 8 of 14, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2022-12-15, 20:52:

The systems are all airgapped so I'm rather careless about viruses.

I used to feel this way until I chased around a data corruption issue on my systems for years that was related to a virus infecting every EXE I ran.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 9 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm review says: "the SDI_RUS file was 17.4Gb to download" Guess that may not work well for many XP systems.
Is this whole topic a promotion/spam post ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2022-12-17, 04:24:

I was thinking the same thing, 🤣.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 14, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use it. The package has drivers for XP on up, so they take up space.
Never noticed advertisement or stuff like that using it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 14, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know if promotional post or not. I will just say that PhilsComputerLab uses it in 1 or more videos so I would suggest its going to get more traction from him than this forum post..?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 13 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-17, 04:24:

Not at all.. Sorry if it came across that way. Genuinely I interested if a single tool can save me time on some older systems. Time is the one thing I have least of....

Reply 14 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I've seen Phil use it a number of times.
Personally I like the challenge of tracking down drivers for my builds and prefer to install bare minimum on my builds.
But I get not everyone is strange like me and while I don't agree with everything Phil does he typically does his homework on stuff like this so would think its fine.