VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-12-20, 13:36:

I'm not the right person to ask all these questions on aesthetics. If it's roughly the same colour and it works, I'm generally happy. If it matters to you, get a different one.

Is not only about aestetics but a mix of functionality and period correct also. i temember very clear that the one used in my DX4 and P60 are instantly recognizable in those used in the early 90s

Reply 21 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

USING KVM SWITCH?

all 4 pc are at 1 meter from the Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse, i thinking to use a kvm 4 channel switch, someone of you have exprerince? problem with k/m signal ora vga degraded quality?

Attachments

Reply 22 of 27, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a very nice collection - all systems being "IBM" is really the icing on the cake(beautiful cases).

What main board "powers" the 486 system?

Maybe add SCSI to the P60 so that it has a bit more cycles to spare(or a PCI based IDE controller) and on the sound front a card with wave table support(or header+module). An overclock to 66mhz may also help to realize the system's full potential.

As for the P4 - I think their forte is playing build games at high(er) resolution. Maybe a Soundblaster Live! would be a nice addition to the system.

Reply 23 of 27, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-12-20, 13:45:

USING KVM SWITCH?

all 4 pc are at 1 meter from the Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse, i thinking to use a kvm 4 channel switch, someone of you have exprerince? problem with k/m signal ora vga degraded quality?

I use a few Trendnet KVMs. A 4 port TK-408K and a 2 port TK-208K. They do PS/2 mouse, keyboard, VGA display and 3.5mm stereo audio and mic. Both are discontinued unfortunately, and the 4 port I had to get off ebay, but I haven't had any show stopping issues with either. I think the mouse sensitivity is about three quarters to one half through it, but I'm not certain. It just feels wrong, and jacking it all the way up in software doesn't quite return it to what feels like "normal" to me. But it's like 98% there. Never noticed any keyboard, video or audio issues.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 24 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote on 2022-12-31, 11:45:
That's a very nice collection - all systems being "IBM" is really the icing on the cake(beautiful cases). […]
Show full quote

That's a very nice collection - all systems being "IBM" is really the icing on the cake(beautiful cases).

What main board "powers" the 486 system?

Maybe add SCSI to the P60 so that it has a bit more cycles to spare(or a PCI based IDE controller) and on the sound front a card with wave table support(or header+module). An overclock to 66mhz may also help to realize the system's full potential.

As for the P4 - I think their forte is playing build games at high(er) resolution. Maybe a Soundblaster Live! would be a nice addition to the system.

what means “what mainboard for the 486”? Is the originale one provider by IBM for this computer, i think is the last one, for the DX4, with the optional 3,3v converter. Is younger than the P60, the DX4 computer is from ‘95, the P60 come from 1994 printed inside.

Adding Scsi is not my plan, i have only 3 slot and one is occupied for the S3, another one for the Sb16 and i have also installed (but is not really need) a 3com 10Mbit ethernet.

Overckocking to 66Mhz is not possible because the jumper are not solder on the mainboard and i not want to modified this very rare computer… is totally original, and 6mhz more change nothing… also IBM never release a 66mhz version, only one version in a 3 slot (PC330) and in a 5 slot (PC350). that make this computer sooo fascinating.

Did you see my computer-span? from 486 to P200, like you said in tour post, for me the best moment in the gaming personal computer history.

Reply 26 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote on 2023-01-01, 18:13:

I meant "which main board" as in which chip-set does the 486 have?

This chip:

Attachments