Hardware Repair setup?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-20, 11:56:

Further question, rather specific, how would I fix a stuck CD drive? I have several IDE and even a few newer SATA CD drives that seem to be seized, wont open tho i hear the tray trying to come out.

This is usually a torn or dried out rubber belt on the eject mechanism. If you're lucky you may have a replacement lying around, but most likely you'll need to buy a new one. You can buy these lots of small rubber belts online and there's usually one in there that will fit perfectly.

Reply 21 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Further question, rather specific, how would I fix a stuck CD drive?

Depends on the mechanism and what is causing the issue.

If it uses a belt then those can usually be replaced. If it's using a plastic gearing mechanism, those can be a bit trickier to repair.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 22 of 26, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this really nice computer workbench in my garage but I have so much stuff in there I have no room to set it up.

But if you plan on soldering I would work in a well ventilated place like a garage with open door or just work outside on a patio table
Folding table or build a workbench with lights.

You want to use fans and ventilation methods. You don’t want to breathe the fumes from soldering.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 26, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mandrew wrote on 2022-12-20, 12:46:

Most important cliché tools: time, patience, practice.
People usually just jump into the whole thing then give up when it doesn't go as planned. You will fail a number of times and it's not a problem, old hardware is very often a bitch and even the simplest tasks end up being a nightmare. Learn from it and move on, failure is part of this hobby.

Fully expect to fail. Tried soldering before on much larger wire and it didnt work so well 🤣.

Mandrew wrote on 2022-12-20, 12:46:

hardware gets picked up quickly and if they can't be repaired they just go back on the market as "faulty-for parts". Then another guy buys it and sends it back on the market as "faulty-parts". Some of these Voodoos travel more than a SAH housewife.

🤣 kinda like my ex.

Reply 24 of 26, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-12-20, 17:39:
I have this really nice computer workbench in my garage but I have so much stuff in there I have no room to set it up. […]
Show full quote

I have this really nice computer workbench in my garage but I have so much stuff in there I have no room to set it up.

But if you plan on soldering I would work in a well ventilated place like a garage with open door or just work outside on a patio table
Folding table or build a workbench with lights.

You want to use fans and ventilation methods. You don’t want to breathe the fumes from soldering.

Oh that is nice. Id planned on building a workbench in my garage anyway, more for automotive purpose, So that would be the route to go. Include an electronics bench in the design.

Reply 25 of 26, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-20, 14:26:

If it uses a belt then those can usually be replaced. If it's using a plastic gearing mechanism, those can be a bit trickier to repair.

I have a mix of both. some are gear, some are belt.

Reply 26 of 26, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-20, 21:50:
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-20, 14:26:

I have a mix of both. some are gear, some are belt.

I recently fixed a couple of old CD and DVD ROM drives, even an old writer by replacing the belt with rubber bands. Also, it is good to clean them up and grease the parts properly.