VOGONS

First post, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. There has been an Operating System bug in Windows 9x for as long as I can remember. Please give me as much information and help as you can so that I can concur this issue once and for all. When I insert a CD-R (burnt on Windows 7 in ISO 9660 v2) into the HP Vectra Desktop running Windows ME, the IDE CD-ROM Drive, the motor and laser gradually spin… slow then fast… then rest… attempting to read it three times, and lastly the drive stops spinning altogether while the green LED status light goes dark. What bothers me the most of all is that any other industrial disc such as audio discs and application discs are read and loaded right away, but my CD-Rs won’t. There was two days when I was using 20 burnt discs just fine and was being read by Win ME but now this. I remember this since I was a child that the drive will spin and get tired accepting CD-Rs without any explanation. It was working last night but what happened was, I pressed a key to skip a game intro and it froze so there could be a corrupted CD-ROM driver file. Read on for the prior actions. Please consider the fixes I have tried already.

A. I’m burning the CD-R on Win7 in the compatible format for Win98 which is ISO 9660 v2 (no joliet extension) while also burning it via Disc-at-once. I’ve tried DAO, TAO, & SAO and it still doesn’t work.
B. Burning it slowest at 10X and it still doesn’t work.
C. A game previously crashed during intro because I hit a keyboard key.
D. The CD-ROM Drivers are from HP and are updated already.
E. Blowing into the crevices doesn’t help.
F. I increased the VDisc Cache Size already.
G. DMA-mode is on and is supported by the CD-ROM Drive.
H. System Restore didn’t help.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there. May I ask if you used the same CD-R type all the time?
It could be that the CD-R brand or the CD-R type isn't being recognized by the drive. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-12-20, 16:29:

Hi there. May I ask if you used the same CD-R type all the time?
It could be that the CD-R brand or the CD-R type isn't being recognized by the drive. 🤷‍♂️

True. I’m using the same CD-R rewritable type - two different brands. (CDRWs aren’t supported by my drive.) Please don’t forget I was able to have 20 CD-Rs read two days ago but no longer.

Reply 4 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what computer is this for. Is this an external drive? sounds to me like the laser assembly is going bad to me. you can try taking apart the drive and cleaning the laser with a cue tip. other than that you would A. need a new laser assembly but good luck finding parts, B. Replace the drive in the enclosure with something newer that doesn't have problems. C. Install a internal IDE or SCSI drive like personally I would and ditch the external stuff. D. Try using a differnt program like Nero 5,6,7,8 because they are full proof.

Last edited by Warlord on 2022-12-20, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-20, 21:52:

what computer is this for. Is this an external drive?

It is an HP Vectra 8SF running Windows ME. The CD-ROM Drive is the original one, a Slim IDE internal one. Would somebody help me understand how to rely on online archive drivers if I am able to purchase another Slim IDE (OEM ones made for a separate desktop than mine) or to purchase an External IDE? Windows 9x drivers for External IDEs are difficult to find, aren't they?

Reply 6 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

because you have to take the cover off, and remove the drive to replace it, why don't you pull the drive out and look at it? if you cant figure out what it is by looking at it, take a picture back connector and post it. I'm 99% that its a slim type IDE like the kind that goes in laptops but there was a couple different ones.

Reply 7 of 10, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-20, 22:08:

because you have to take the cover off, and remove the drive to replace it, why don't you pull the drive out and look at it? if you cant figure out what it is by looking at it, take a picture back connector and post it. I'm 99% that its a slim type IDE like the kind that goes in laptops but there was a couple different ones.

Thank you, sir, so much!!! Wiping the laser with a q-tip made it work. Additionally I am going to leave this computer alone until I can order retro CD-Rs that are less write speed. Because the ones I brought home from the store are 52X and I didn't realize that was a dumb idea. I cannot use 52X anymore.

Reply 8 of 10, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
beachboy1122 wrote on 2022-12-20, 16:09:

Hi. There has been an Operating System bug ...

I still am asking anybody about what type of 9x drivers must I get for the USB CD Drive which I'll eventually need.

Reply 9 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could do somthing like that and it would work fine but it depends what your expectations are I guess. Win ME has built in driver for USB cd/dvd rom. There are several reasons why it wont work exactly the same as the drive you have in there for certain things but I guess you know that already or you wouldn't be asking.

Reply 10 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to specs the original CDrom is a 24x max for the VLi 8SF Models and should be able to read newer CDR like 52x max. Only those drives from 12x max backward have issues with the newer fast CDR dyes from my experience...
(Specifically the 4x, 6x, 8x and some 12x need old slow burn cdr due to dye differences)
Curious what brand blank CDR did you buy ? I have some HP 52x cd-r that work in nearly every IDE cdrom I ever tested them in from 16x max to 50x max....
What tool are you using to burn the disks on the Win7 computer ?

Warlord wrote on 2022-12-20, 21:52:

Try using a differnt program like Nero 5,6,7,8 because they are full proof.

Agree ! Have Nero 6 on my newer Win7 box and burns great data/game CDR for older systems. Can even burn good bootable Win9x cdr if I set the the parm's proper

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun