VOGONS

First post, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

after a long search i recently was able to purchase an Inwin A500 Case. I was looking for one in decent condition for a long time so i was willing to buy a complete system instead of the case alone.

However the system build into the case is an old AMD 386 AT system. The seller modded? the power button to use it with the switch of the AT Power supply. Fortunately he didn’t cut the old one but left it in the case.

I cannot however figure out how to secure the physical button in the case button, it just slips out of the plastic cage, just as it was meant to be hold from the backside. There are no screw holes for a holding mechanism so i am lost.

Maybe someone from the board has an A500 case and is willing to take some pictures from the inside mechanism?
But be careful, i snapped on of the plastic tabs from the front piece right of during deconstruction.

Reply 2 of 3, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took a picture of the inside of my A500 some time ago, and it seems it is clipped-in. I don't know the situation of your case, but maybe the retention clips were cut off to make room for the AT style switch. My switch is mounted like this:

Power button A500 case.jpg
Filename
Power button A500 case.jpg
File size
362.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I spray painted my case black, but it really is an A500.

Reply 3 of 3, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@digistorm yes, thank you, thayt looks almost exactly like the construction in my case. The seller however seemed to have cut the little top bar supporting the button, to make foom for the at switch to stick through, just like you imagined. I'm thinking about welding a little bar on top, but i'm not sure how to do this. I could glue the switch into position, but i am not sure how the plastic of the switch would behave if i would use CA Glue.

However thank you very much, the pictures were perfect to determine what was wrong and now i am having options to explore.

Attachments

• IMG-0852.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-0852.jpg
    File size
    868.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG-0851.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-0851.jpg